Multiplayer / Dedicated Factorio Ideas Thread.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Multiplayer / Dedicated Factorio Ideas Thread.

Post by Kane »

Hello. My name is Kane Hart. I been running game servers and sites since I was about 14ish. I'm now almost 30 so that is about 15 years of experience. Please not this is a thread about ideas that I personally like to see and not a debate or a contest. But I would love to hear your ideas as well for a Dedicated server.

I have no clue if Dedicated servers will be a thing but with even very small tweaks the rendering could be removed and the game should be able top be launched through a command line. Though if this has never been thought of ahead of time a little rewrite to launch it without rendering might be needed. As I assume everything runs in the background and is hopefully not tied to the actual FPS this should not be too much of an issue. Some the older games were so tied to the rendering engine this made it next to impossible.
  • Dedicated Servers
  • Config Options. Offer lots and lots of configs. The whole point is let the community of that server decide the options they like. Fine tuning should always be an option.
  • Dedicated Server Multi-threading / Core. Right now I hear the game used multiple threads and cores. But it seems like certain operations spawn in a new thread but don't actually use a bunch of them. For example for chunk generation of a 1024x1024 location should spike CPU Usage on all 4 cores to max. It does not.
  • Kick, Ban, Whitelist. The Basics.
  • Death? We have to deal with the death issue since when you die the game is over. You can't have the host if its not dedicated or even if it is dedicated say well I'm dead time to shutdown the server. You need some new rules like Hardcore death like /ban from the server, Hardcore timed death, Etc. You want to punish people but you don't want to ruin their life. We know most people here use the safe features ;) The hardcore now is that you don't get to revert a save after making a big mess or after a large attack that you took heavy losses.
  • We need new ways to start the players off. One scenario would be players would want to start far away from each other. Maybe like 5 minute train ride or a 20 minute walk. This would be all configured but the players could in the end game build a technology to ping other players in the game. They both build say a large antenna for transmission send back and forth data. Maybe even later on pairing up their location and sending radar information etc back. How cool would it be your friend is days away and you both want to setup a rail system to each other!
    At the same time some people might want more of a co-op start near each other or a tad out etc. So options are the key.
  • The biters are most likely need to change a bit for the above to work correctly but should be changed a bit more anyways. Multiplayers tend to enjoy exploring. Bigger veins and to many biters is not the way to go. Need to come up with a better scaling system for biters that does not ruin the fun for exploration in multiplayer. Or at least when a new player joins and gets spawned in the world they not be in the outer part the world the scaling has to start over for that area as well.
  • I would like to see Server admins have an option to send the players the mod files via the server to download in the future or at least a consider workshop support when its on steam. I thought this be a crap Idea but check out Space Engineers how they ended up doing workshop support for Single / Multiplayer and it actually works out really well. More then I ever expected. I never been much of a supporter of steam or workshop anything.

Just random thoughts from my brain at the time writing this. I'm sure I will add a lot more in the future.

Thanks,
Kane Hart

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Multiplayer / Dedicated Factorio Ideas Thread.

Post by -root »

If you had read the game updates and you'll see a lot of what is already planned.

For starters, MP will be peer to peer because programming and technical stuff.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Sorry I will admit I have not gone through all 50 of the logs as I'm brand new but I will take sometime this week and do that since it seems very valuable wealth of information. Though when people say Limitations from a game they wrote from the ground up I get confused. The only way around it would be to write it in assembly their telling us :P?

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Kane wrote:Though when people say Limitations from a game they wrote from the ground up I get confused. The only way around it would be to write it in assembly their telling us :P?
Well, they still have an engine(Allegro) to work with, so not everything is built by them. And the way some things are built already, could potentially hinder doing things in a certain way without rewriting a large part of it.

As far as blogs on the MP itself, you can start here. I think from there you will find most relevant information released so far.
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-41

Edit: And 2 other relevant posts:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-30
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-26
Ignore this

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Kane wrote:Sorry I will admit I have not gone through all 50 of the logs as I'm brand new but I will take sometime this week and do that since it seems very valuable wealth of information. Though when people say Limitations from a game they wrote from the ground up I get confused. The only way around it would be to write it in assembly their telling us :P?
I just re-read my post and it comes across as really rude. Didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry. In the past couple of months their updates have included TONs of information about MP. Also, each update thread has been turning into debates about how MP will be done and why one way has been chosen over another.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

No it is fine I did not find it offensive :) It's all good. I'm new and you did direct me to some great information. I wish I could of read some logs tonight but I spent the past 8 hours ripping out carpet in my moms basement. She had mold growing since she does not use a damn dehumidifier.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”