Basic Trains Stuff

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Basic Trains Stuff

Post by Rjskeet »

As the subject states I'm proposing an early game train system that you could get started early into the game, instead of at the late Green/early Blue stage. The current diesel engine and wagons are usually researched late in the game around the 60min mark in a mega factory scenario. 60min isn't that long in a game but that is in a mega factory, in a Railworld game researching trains can take over 90 mins. After hundreds of hours in game an ALOT of saves I can tell you that is wayyyy to long. The basic train should be added into the early green science area near the steel research. I was thinking a steam engine and maybe some pumps for the recipie maybe even a tank so it would have to use water as a fuel along with only coal and wood. It should be limited in speed, fuel slots, and shouldn't be aloud to couple to another engine.
That would make it a stepping stone for diesel trains while still being useful well into the mid game. It would be nice if it had thin gauge rails that where made of just iron sticks, plates, and stone ore. But having the ability to run on standard (large) gauge rails. now the train cars should be very limited to only holding 2 rows of stuff(make the model shorter so it can only fit 4 inserters) and maybe half the tanker car capacity. I think something like this would be very useful to people who love the trains and for people in the early game that hate running huge runs of belts all over the place early in the game.

Please discuss if you hate this idea or you like it and if it is a bad idea or not.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Basic Trains Stuff

Post by LazyLoneLion »

I'd say it's just the beginning stage of the game that is too long. I already proposed to increase starting possessions -- like give several coal miners, at least one blue assembler (or even tier-3 assembler?), maybe few grenades against the forestation, maybe few dozens of green circuits and few hundreds of yellow belts. Maybe several hundreds of concrete. Few underground pipes. A hundred coals. It will drastically speed up the most boring part of the game and not ruin the game in total (or so I suppose).

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Well that would be good for an easy start game for beginners, but honestly i was talking more about going from scratch to trains is just way to long. The early game in my opinion is fine how it is because it adds that challenge of starting from nothing. However in ever other aspect of the game theirs a progression system Steam<solar/Nuclear and yellow<red<Blue belts are just 2 examples.

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

What, like this? :)

To be honest, I never really experienced it as a problem.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

More along the lines of this( no pun intended)
Attachments
steam-train-P.jpeg
steam-train-P.jpeg (441.88 KiB) Viewed 2973 times

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

Sounds like a relatively big addition to bridge a very small period of time. In other word, perhaps material for a mod, but not in vanilla.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Caine wrote:Sounds like a relatively big addition to bridge a very small period of time. In other word, perhaps material for a mod, but not in vanilla.
God, thanks there are mods: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/JunkTrain

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Personally, I'd rather have the beginning stage of the game lengthened, and the junk train makes even more sense then. Require research for electric drills, and add a burner assembler. There's some mods, but the assemblers aren't up to date with the latest game version. :S

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

AileTheAlien wrote:Personally, I'd rather have the beginning stage of the game lengthened, and the junk train makes even more sense then. Require research for electric drills, and add a burner assembler. There's some mods, but the assemblers aren't up to date with the latest game version. :S
Yea honestly a longer early game would be nice I feel like I rush through red and green way to fast on a mega factory game and then its just a slog after that. Having stuff like earlier trains and more burner equipment would make the early game more interesting instead of just standing near burner miners waiting for the plates you need to build your electric network.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Rjskeet wrote:
AileTheAlien wrote:Personally, I'd rather have the beginning stage of the game lengthened, and the junk train makes even more sense then. Require research for electric drills, and add a burner assembler. There's some mods, but the assemblers aren't up to date with the latest game version. :S
Yea honestly a longer early game would be nice I feel like I rush through red and green way to fast on a mega factory game and then its just a slog after that. Having stuff like earlier trains and more burner equipment would make the early game more interesting instead of just standing near burner miners waiting for the plates you need to build your electric network.
Personally I don't enjoy the very early game much, but with early trains I think it might be a lot more fun (and then I'd even agree to it being lengthened).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”