Rail blocking equipment

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Rail blocking equipment

Post by Oktokolo »

TL;DR
1x1 equipment placeable into modular (and better) armor, that makes the player occupy rail blocks like trains while standing on them or in a configurable distance from them.

Me laying tracks for a new branch off the main line just before i put the signals:
Train waits for construction worker to leave the area.png
Train waits for construction worker to leave the area.png (226.98 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
What ?
I propose a 1x1 quality-of-life equipment placeable into modular or better armor.
It turns signals at the start of rail blocks red while the player stand on or near such blocks.
Trains would try to stop on signals turned red by the new equipment as they do now when signals turn red for other reasons.
The maximum distance the player could be from a rail block while still turning its signals red should be configurable ingame somehow. A dialog could be opened by a button in the top-left corner of the screen (method is used by some mods). Same dialog could be invokable by a user-defined keyboard shortcut.
Why ?
When changing existing rail lines (like when branching from them), this equipment would make trains wait before the area i am working on and resume after i am done with it. It would therefore allow for more relaxed working on the lines (especially the main lines) without having to disconnect segments from the network by ripping out rail segments or bot-placing impassable signals.
I could also just stop right before any rail and after some seconds cross them without zooming out or squinting at the mini map, knowing that no train would dare to enter the segements i am about to cross.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Rail blocking equipment

Post by AileTheAlien »

+1 cool idea! : )

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Why not? It's simple and useful. And nobody makes you use it, if you don't like it, right?

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Cool idea and would certainly take the risk out of being run down by trains when working on a line.

Although I must admit I kinda enjoy the risk.
People say biters add to the challenge, but personally I think the trains are a bit sneakier.
They seem to sit watching and waiting for the right moment to strike.
image.35.jpg
image.35.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

It probably would not work reliably with high braking distance bonuses.
Train locks segment just 2-3s before entering it in that cases, so it is still possible, it will enter segment just before the player.

Also note, that if train locks segment (turn entrance signal to yellow) You can not block it by switching it to red - train will ignore it anyway.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

mp0011 wrote:It probably would not work reliably with high braking distance bonuses.
Train locks segment just 2-3s before entering it in that cases, so it is still possible, it will enter segment just before the player.
Also note, that if train locks segment (turn entrance signal to yellow) You can not block it by switching it to red - train will ignore it anyway.
This caveat is known. The new equipment intentionally would not be a foolproof solution to carelessness. It would just increase the safety of work at the railroads.
Intended use would be to go near the rail. Wait until trains seen on the minimap have passed. Do whatever business you have on the rails while the blocks are red - whithout having to constantly check the minimap or remove a rail tile.
You could also cross your main line at any location. Go near the line, wait until the traffic stops, cross line - like using a pedestrian traffic light in real life but without having to press a button.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Honestly, for me, being killed by own train in Factorio 10x more than by bitters is some kind of Factorio legacy ;)
I would just add train horn, so You will know 2 seconds before You die, that You are about to die...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

mp0011 wrote:Honestly, for me, being killed by own train in Factorio 10x more than by bitters is some kind of Factorio legacy ;)
I would just add train horn, so You will know 2 seconds before You die, that You are about to die...
Nah, that comes after you die :P.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

fdedraco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fdedraco »

mp0011 wrote:Honestly, for me, being killed by own train in Factorio 10x more than by bitters is some kind of Factorio legacy ;)
will the horn impale you too?

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Oktokolo wrote:Do whatever business you have on the rails while the blocks are red - whithout having to constantly check the minimap or remove a rail tile.
I've gotten into the habit of carrying around a cargo wagon or two.
Will sometimes place one on a track to block trains from passing while working.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”