Automatic train placement

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Skeletpiece
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Automatic train placement

Post by Skeletpiece »

Hello everyone,

I was expanding my base using a lot of trains and noticed that placing locomotives/wagons on track is not very funny (with lot of trains).
I know that you can have logistics robots supply with those items, .... but factorio is made for automation, so it would be great to have something like a shipyard (but for trains, I don't know the exact word).
Required items to build this should have processing units (blue), steel, ...., and a 1min build for every locomotive/wagon

An example image:

Thanks

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Automatic train placement

Post by Zavian »

There is mod for automatic train deployment. viewtopic.php?f=93&t=49689 Not qutie what you are asking for.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Maybe you want something equivalent to OpenTTD depots?

If you are unfamiliar with OpenTTD, you may want to give it a try and see if they have the behavior you want. The game is a free download.

If you do not want all of this to take place inside a small "black box" building, then, in order to implement your suggestion, I believe that automatic train coupling would be necessary, for example as it has been implemented in this mod. See this official demonstration video for a first impression. Unfortunately, the mod has not been updated since version 0.14.

Skeletpiece
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Skeletpiece »

Thanks for both replies,

I was looking both suggestions, I saw that train deployment mod does the job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_ycaV5G-k0 but I dont like the way it does.
The idea is to have a simple train assembler to do the job like an inserter does.
Tekky wrote:Maybe you want something equivalent to OpenTTD depots?
As Tekky said, an automatic train coupling also needs to be necessary so the idea is to have a new building (Train depot) that only places one unit (Loco, wagon) on the rail
Depot example
Depot example
Train_depot_example.png (311.76 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
You can also be able to choose which unit it has to place:
Recipe
Recipe
Recipe.png (103.2 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
This new building needs to be scalable, so in order to get 1 Locomotive + 3 wagons you should have 4 train depots. For the coupling problem, as long as these depots are near each other, they can place the train already coupled.
An example image to deploy 1 Locomotive + 2 wagons:
Train depot
Train depot
Train_depot.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 3174 times

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”