Always capture trainstop names in blueprints

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Always capture trainstop names in blueprints

Post by BenSeidel »

TL;DR
Don't make us remember to check "Station names" in the blueprints, instead have it marked as default (or give us an option to have it marked as default).
What ?
Doing lots of train stations such as iron ore & copper or pickups & drop offs is extremely annoying when you need to set up lots of different sizes (as your trains get longer you need a longer station) as this seems to be the process I have been going through.
1) drop the current version
2) make your modification
3) capture the modification to a new blueprint
4) deconstruct the build you modified
5) use the templte
6) wonder why none of your trains are working
7) drop your modified blueprint (again)
8) name the stations AGAIN
9) re-capture the build REMEMBERING to check the box to save station names
10) fix all the stations that are named incorrectly.
Why ?
Because steps 6-10 are SOOOO frustrating. I originally assumed that it would be something that I would get used to and just do as a reflex, but it's not... as it's about 30+ blueprints so far and I still have randomly named stations.

thanks.

P.S.
Should it be "station names" when the entity is "train stop" and not "train station"?

nuke_it_from_orbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Always capture trainstop names in blueprints

Post by nuke_it_from_orbit »

Why is this not enabled by default?

Is there a mod or vanilla config tweak to accomplish this?

Iccor56
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Iccor56 »

TL;DR Bump

I so hate that check box.

PLEASE let us mark it on by default. why make a station when the name won't save??

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

It captures train stop names by default when you copy/cut. Would be nice if the checkbox was enabled by default when making blueprints also so +1

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Qon wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm
It captures train stop names by default when you copy/cut. Would be nice if the checkbox was enabled by default when making blueprints also so +1
Dunno. If you flip the default then *everyone else* suddenly has to remember to uncheck the box when they're designing a generic load/unload station and don't want all their old trains to go to *every* new ore outpost. I.e. the potential annoyance factor caused by a forgotten box is: if default "off" -> you have to remake the blueprint, if default "on" -> lots of trains go to places they're not supposed to go to.

Imho this would have to be an interface option like "set default request size to 1 (instead of stack size)".
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

eradicator wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm
Dunno. If you flip the default then *everyone else* suddenly has to remember to uncheck the box when they're designing a generic load/unload station
I agree that it would be slightly more annoying for those that are used to the current behaviour, but keep in mind that those that make the mistake under the "default checked" system would only have to edit the blueprint and uncheck the box. While those that forget to check it have to re-capture the blueprint either by placing it and modifying the name or by going back to the original source and making any upgrades or modifications that they had made.

I suppose that the real issue I have is that unchecking the box makes the blueprint forget the original station name. If it didn't forget then we who want the names captured can edit the blueprint and enable the names again.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Yes please ...... It is a real frustration!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

BenSeidel wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:19 am
I suppose that the real issue I have is that unchecking the box makes the blueprint forget the original station name. If it didn't forget then we who want the names captured can edit the blueprint and enable the names again.
This is the only real solution. Just always save the names and only chose if it's used or not.

Until someone complains that blueprints contain sensitive information and they therefore can't post BP strings in public places anymore. :twisted:
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 am
BenSeidel wrote:
This is the only real solution. Just always save the names and only chose if it's used or not.

Until someone complains that blueprints contain sensitive information and they therefore can't post BP strings in public places anymore. :twisted:
This really also falls into the issue of editing blueprints. Given a blueprint changing or adding the station name is annoyingly complicated.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

I have fallen over this issue again!!!

Perhaps we should also have an option for 'overwrite existing station names'. When you drop a blueprint on a previously built blueprint (to update the assemblers with the now-available tech), the station names are overwritten - not ideal in most cases.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

SkiCarver wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Perhaps we should also have an option for 'overwrite existing station names'. When you drop a blueprint on a previously built blueprint (to update the assemblers with the now-available tech), the station names are overwritten - not ideal in most cases.
- Make a copy of the blueprint: Put it in your library, pick it up and drop it in your inventory again. Or export+import the blueprint string.
- Open the blueprint and uncheck the "Train station names" checkmark

I think that preserves the station names when pasting over something. If not remove the stations from the copied blueprint.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm
SkiCarver wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 pm

- Make a copy of the blueprint: Put it in your library, pick it up and drop it in your inventory again. Or export+import the blueprint string.
- Open the blueprint and uncheck the "Train station names" checkmark

I think that preserves the station names when pasting over something. If not remove the stations from the copied blueprint.
thanks. I think i will have to get into the habit of making a copy of the blueprints without stations.

Iccor56
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Iccor56 »

why not just save the state from the last blueprint saved?

that way people who normally don't save station names won't have it saved. those that do will.

they could also make a game setting to set the default for new blue prints. maybe a setting for each of the checkboxes for saving.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 am
BenSeidel wrote:
+1
Would be much more useful.

A similar problem would be solved if I could say “place assemblies, requester chests, combinators, but don’t set to produced/requested/emitted/compared items.”
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

May I point to a similar suggestion (and imo a bug): 87712
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Thanks for that link, I had overseen it; for me, this one is much clearer, so I would not join it into that. :)

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

+1

studix2002
Inserter
Inserter

train stations on by default

Post by studix2002 »

TL;DR
filters on default blueprint don't make sense

What ?
would it be possible to change the filters by default on new blueprints?

the community I play with (Colonelwill's) do alot of design work in a creative map, as such alot of blueprints are created including outpost blueprints that are used 10's if not hundred's of times per map, going to a new map, downloading the blueprints to find hundreds of stations with random names because the filter wasn't set is annoying, here are the current default settings for a blueprint that has train stops and trains present:
Blueprint filters.png
Blueprint filters.png (8.17 KiB) Viewed 3310 times

having "train fuel" selected without the train itself doesn't make sense
Why ?
it would make creating blueprints much easier

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: train stations on by default

Post by ssilk »

I’m not so often making new blueprints: what exactly do you want the game to do for you?

I understand that it doesn’t select “trains” in the filter-setting. When pasting the blueprint or when creating?

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: train stations on by default

Post by aka13 »

ssilk wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 am
I’m not so often making new blueprints: what exactly do you want the game to do for you?

I understand that it doesn’t select “trains” in the filter-setting. When pasting the blueprint or when creating?

When you do a new blueprint, the blueprint defaults are stupid. They do not include station names, which is REALLY cumbersome, and regularly is an inconvenience for me, when I remember I forgot setting the checkbox.
At the same time, when a train is selected, the default "train fuel" is used, but the train itself is not, which does not make sense.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 082036.png
Screenshot 2022-08-10 082036.png (575.49 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”