For smart-ish trains: how about a "repathing chain signal"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

For smart-ish trains: how about a "repathing chain signal"

Post by golfmiketango »

Here's an idea that I believe could really open up a lot of possibilities to implement things with trains intuitively that currently require the creation of dummy stations and artificial hacks to manipulate the game-engine: a repathing chain signal. Just like a regular chain signal, but every train that passes it will repath automatically, no questions asked.

Kind of like "volatile" in C, you are just building your rail network normally, but also telling the game engine (or your auto-engineer-bot), "hey, I know there is a price, but you are not smart enough to figure this out, so don't even try to be clever at this one spot."

[Edit: Actually, there would be no need for a new item, if a check-box were provided in the configuration gui for chain-signals to achieve this. I suppose the same would be nice for regular signals, although I have a vague hunch this might create an implementation burden that chain signals would not... whichever was easier to implement would be more than OK I think]

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: For smart-ish trains: how about a "repathing chain signal"

Post by Vegemeister »

I have been informed that trains already repath after all chain signals.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I believe that behaviour has changed in 0.16.17. See aaargha's post viewtopic.php?f=29&t=51341&p=337101#p337099 .

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Weerry eenteresting!

Sounds like I have some experimenting to do.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”