Option for disabling artillery auto target

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Option for disabling artillery auto target

Post by ssilk »

List of similar suggestions

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71937 Suggestion: Allow enabling/disabling artillery turrets with circuit network

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=86718 Disable artillery wagon auto-fire when train is in manual mode
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

khadgarion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by khadgarion »

I have the inserters that feed my wall artillery set to enable only when they get a signal. I found it troublesome to clear out an area, weather the counterattack, then push out my defense wall only to have one artillery piece randomly fire on a nest that called in another counterattack and would mess up my new wall while it was either under construction or not yet supplied.

The disabling inserter method is not instant (the artillery will still fire whatever is in their inventory) but it's at least something. I have no solution for artillery wagons, other than leaving them empty until they need to be used.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

netmand wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:17 pm
ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 am
I think that it can’t be turned off is part of game.
Normally I could accept this as a problem to solve except; The artillery wagon is the best way to transport artillery shells since it carries 100 shells. If I'm needing to pre-load an area (i.e. building up a stockpile of ammunition before engaging targets in certain areas), the artillery wagon cannot be used, limiting transport from 100 down to 40 using the cargo wagon.
the artillery wagon is more expensive and heavy - i.e. slower to move, than just adding more cargo wagons to the train. i think the payoff is higher just to use more wagons.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Y'd think that when something's been suggested a dozen times and had a whole pile of mods made to do it in various ways, it'd be something worth considering for implementation in the base game.

Particularly when it's so simple and obvious. Heck, you could arguably expand the ability to do so to every kind of turret, since while artillery are the only ones in vanilla you'd generally want to do this with, there's a wide variety of mod-added turrets out there that could potentially also benefit.
ptx0 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:29 pm
netmand wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:17 pm
ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:31 am
I think that it can’t be turned off is part of game.
Normally I could accept this as a problem to solve except; The artillery wagon is the best way to transport artillery shells since it carries 100 shells. If I'm needing to pre-load an area (i.e. building up a stockpile of ammunition before engaging targets in certain areas), the artillery wagon cannot be used, limiting transport from 100 down to 40 using the cargo wagon.
the artillery wagon is more expensive and heavy - i.e. slower to move, than just adding more cargo wagons to the train. i think the payoff is higher just to use more wagons.
The expenses of relatively fixed infrastructure like wagons are trivial compared to the sciences (the only ones that aren't IMO are modules) and are very, very rarely the limiting factor in a design. Arty wagons have a substantial footprint advantage over cargo wagons, since they allow shorter trains and therefore can be retrofit into an existing train network a lot more easily, in addition to the smaller stations at either end. The slower accelerations for the same number of shells (since arty wagons are IIRC 4x the weight of a cargo wagon but only carry 2.5x the shells) is impactful, but the convenience factor of 'fits in my extant signal blocking' massively outweighs it in my books.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

I don’t think my mod has been mentioned yet, so I‘ll shamelessly plug it here: Shortcuts for 1.0. Among other useful shortcuts it adds a selection tool that allows you to enable/disable artillery turrets and wagons.

If I understand the suggestion correct you still want to be able to manual target when auto targeting is disabled. This is not possible with my mod afaik (I didn’t develop that feature and I never thought of that case).

Also I like this suggestion.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

foamy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:20 pm
The expenses of relatively fixed infrastructure like wagons are trivial compared to the sciences (the only ones that aren't IMO are modules) and are very, very rarely the limiting factor in a design. Arty wagons have a substantial footprint advantage over cargo wagons, since they allow shorter trains and therefore can be retrofit into an existing train network a lot more easily, in addition to the smaller stations at either end. The slower accelerations for the same number of shells (since arty wagons are IIRC 4x the weight of a cargo wagon but only carry 2.5x the shells) is impactful, but the convenience factor of 'fits in my extant signal blocking' massively outweighs it in my books.
my bad, i thought you were looking for a solution to your problem, but you want the game to change to suit your build strategy instead. carry on.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:06 pm
my bad, i thought you were looking for a solution to your problem, but you want the game to change to suit your build strategy instead. carry on.
Nonsense. You were talking about the payoff of using more cargo wagons over using arty wagons, and said you thought the first wast better for transport. I disagreed and laid out why. Those arguments hold true irrespective of whether arty always auto-fires or not, though they explain why people want to use arty wagons for transport and therefore get annoyed enough with the autofire behaviour to've suggested and/or modded changes to it a great many times, going right back to its introduction in .16.

And you have no answer other than 'oh well I guess you're suggesting a change to the game motivated by your play experience in the forum about suggesting changes to the game, guess i'll dismiss it'. Good job.

(For the record: I wasn't even the person you were first responding to and this is not personally a huge issue for me because by the time I set up arty trains I have entirely adequate defenses planned around their firing locations. But I try to consider ideas on merit.)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

foamy wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:07 pm

(For the record: I wasn't even the person you were first responding to and this is not personally a huge issue for me because by the time I set up arty trains I have entirely adequate defenses planned around their firing locations. But I try to consider ideas on merit.)
oh anyone who still has this issue should just use one of the linked mods to resolve it.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:37 pm
foamy wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:07 pm

oh anyone who still has this issue should just use one of the linked mods to resolve it.
And if they think it would add to the base game, they can make a suggestion in the ideas and suggestions forum.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

+1
especialy for train artillery

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Artillery Turret Climbing/Sitting for manual targeting

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

This is something I expect to add more "visual" richness to the game. But of course, I don't expect/want something extraordinary in the game, which is 2d.

-Artillery turrets are "off" by default. When the user enters it, there are configurations such as "auto targeting / aiming when the vehicle is idle" from a simple interface just like in "spidetron". I think this part of the recommendation is one of the "most recommended things". As it has been said many times, I will not stop in this part, but as in the related images, a small visual that shows that the player is targeting can be added.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105093
Beacon domain & Cable access area coloring (Color Tone variations)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It was clear, that I need to join that with the existing thread?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”