Checkbox "x" is not clear for some region.("X" means "nope")

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

yukinyaa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Checkbox "x" is not clear for some region.("X" means "nope")

Post by yukinyaa »

In my perspective of Korean, "x" always ment "negative"
So, when I saw "x" on the checkbox, I was so confused and took few frustrating tries before I figured out that the mark was supposed to indicate the element was checked. I'm still not very used to the check box in game after more then 500 hours of playing.

I think that "x" mark should be replaced with "v" or "o", or the checkbox itself has color indication as background color, or any other visual representation that the "x" means "yes".

sharpshot7937
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Checkbox "x" is not clear for some region.("X" means "nope")

Post by sharpshot7937 »

I think "v" or "o" would also be unclear in some regions but support the idea of a red/green colour scheme

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Code: Select all

✓, ✔, ☑, ✅
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_mark

It must be added by locale as check_symbol
Last edited by darkfrei on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sharpshot7937
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sharpshot7937 »

Looks like that will work fine

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

I must admit, I was also initially confused about this, and I'm from northern europe.

Red/green is not a good idea for the color blind, I think the safest solution is an "empty frame" and "filled frame" solution without symbols as such.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Wow didn't know that Korean thing. Very interesting.

How do Microsoft solve it?

I would also favor the checkmark.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

yukinyaa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yukinyaa »

As mentioned on title, I think this not only Korean's issue so this should be considered more.

Also, MS uses ✔ for checked checkboxes and ■ for partial selection.

Even when considering colorblind, "background" color cor clear indication won't matter because the color won't be the only indicator for the box.

I think coloured box should be fine(■) but still doubt that it is best answer because as mentioned, MS uses the shape as "partial selection".

Is there any region that ✔ could mean negative in checkbox? If so, what indication does OS default checkbox uses?

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

yukinyaa wrote:Is there any region that ✔ could mean negative in checkbox?
According to the wikipedia page linked above at least in Sweden, Canada and Finland it is used to indicate "incorrect". Korea and Japan use other symbols for the checkbox (O and X).

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Haha, I got confused by that a once, a long time ago, and I'm a fat burger! Eventually you learn that anything in the checkbox means Yes. An empty checkbox means No.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

The first time I saw X being used in a checkbox threw me... Previously, I'd always seen the use of, and used ticks. Tick means yes, X means nope.

It wasn't until I was much older when I realised... it's some dumb American system, and their annoying bullshit is being forced on all of us, so, just get used to it.

Like American's calling # a pound sign... it's not a pound sign in any shape or form. £ is the pound sign for currency, and lb is the unit of measurement for weight in pounds. the use of hash (#) for the unit of measurement for pounds started in American trade book keeping as a fast was to write lb. so again, American bullshit being forced on the rest of us.

And now they have a president who changed his last name to a word that means breaking wind... farting... what the fuck.
darkfrei wrote:

✓, ✔, ☑, ✅

Factorio would use raw pixel graphics, so you wouldn't need to do anything with locale...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

bobingabout wrote:The first time I saw X being used in a checkbox threw me... Previously, I'd always seen the use of, and used ticks. Tick means yes, X means nope.

It wasn't until I was much older when I realised... it's some dumb American system, and their annoying bullshit is being forced on all of us, so, just get used to it.

Like American's calling # a pound sign... it's not a pound sign in any shape or form. £ is the pound sign for currency, and lb is the unit of measurement for weight in pounds. the use of hash (#) for the unit of measurement for pounds started in American trade book keeping as a fast was to write lb. so again, American bullshit being forced on the rest of us.

And now they have a president who changed his last name to a word that means breaking wind... farting... what the fuck.
darkfrei wrote:

✓, ✔, ☑, ✅

Factorio would use raw pixel graphics, so you wouldn't need to do anything with locale...
I've literally neveer seen that used as a pound sign. Also, don't blame us for our president, he didn't even win the most votes. (It's another stupid American thing. We don't like it either. Not that anything is going to change.)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

+1 for the ✓ (U+2713)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Caine wrote:
yukinyaa wrote:Is there any region that ✔ could mean negative in checkbox?
According to the wikipedia page linked above at least in Sweden, Canada and Finland it is used to indicate "incorrect". Korea and Japan use other symbols for the checkbox (O and X).
Regarding Japan:
✔ is used as "incorrect" in written exams. But my japanese windows uses ✔ in checkboxes to mean "checked". I don't think windows actually uses region dependant symbols for checkboxes. I think handwritte checkboxes use ○. And the most common use for correct is ○ and incorrect × as you can see on any playstation controller (protip: western playstation games have the controls swapped in software).

Conclusion: I think alsmost every windows user will be used to the ✓ check mark in check boxes.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”