Improve Cliff-related wall placement/visualization

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Improve Cliff-related wall placement/visualization

Post by Oktokolo »

What ?
walls and cliffs connectivity.png
walls and cliffs connectivity.png (141.74 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
Why ?
Walls that connect to adjacent cliffs would look prettier. They would also indicate better, whether there is an actual hole between the wall and the cliff.
Walkable space that can't be closed with a wall are surprising for the user in a bad way and inconsistent with general behaviour of walls.
Tile-sized non-walkable space wich looks like it should be walkable (and accept walls) also surpises the user in a bad way and looks ugly if the end point of a wall.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Improve Cliff-related wall placement/visualization

Post by Tekky »

Yes, I fully agree. This inconsistency certainly needs fixing.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I really like it that it now is possible to use cliffs as a natural wall, so walling off your base requires only half the amount of actual wall.

However, the more I use this new possibility, the more annoying it gets that you sometimes can't fill the gap to a diagonal cliff.

Also, as the OP (original poster) pointed out, the graphics does not always correspond to the actual collision-box.

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

There are deffinitelly more things, that should have special behaviour when placed on the bottom cliff tile.
Walls blended into mountain are perfect examples. Gates should also merge with the cliffs.

Here's proposition for pipes and belts. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57356

Other entities are eg.
- electric poles (small and medium), that mounted on the cliff side are just wire insulators mounted directly to the rock.
- lights, mounted on the cliff side may have differently shaped light cone (only to one direction), and different look (wall-mounted light)
- Same for rail signals
- Chests, looking like vertical hatches to deposits embedded into mountain

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

We definitely need that. Often you can't place wall close enough to a cliff to block passage. It is a real pain to try to connect them.
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

On the other side I don't like how walls interact with water.
It doesn't make sense that the walls connect to the water.

I liked that you could build a wall directly in the water replacing the natural coast. That's gone with the new land generation.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Here is another thread related to graphical issues with cliffs:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=54550 [16.0] Cliff bounding box / sprite overlap

I believe that at least the issue of gaps in walls that biters can pathfind through is not intended behavior. Therefore, I have filed a bug report on that issue:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58273 unable to connect walls to diagonal cliffs

It would also be nice if the graphical issues that the OP mentioned were fixed. However, I did not mention those in my bug report, because I do not believe that they qualify as bugs.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

According to my bug report thread, the issue of unsealable gaps between cliffs and walls will be adressed in 0.16.31.

As already stated, the other issues reported by the OP are not part of my bug report thread, though. I did not report them, because I wouldn't classify them as bugs, but rather suggestions.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Tekky wrote:According to my bug report thread, the issue of unsealable gaps between cliffs and walls will be adressed in 0.16.31.
As already stated, the other issues reported by the OP are not part of my bug report thread, though. I did not report them, because I wouldn't classify them as bugs, but rather suggestions.
Good news. And all the oddities regarding cliffs and walls are rather obvious. So they will probably just fix them all too. It is not like they could play test using walls next to cliffs without stumbling noticing them...

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Meanwhile, the issue of diagonal walls leaving a gap when connecting to cliffs is mostly fixed. It seems to be no longer possible for biters to pathfind through that gap. However, in certain situations, it is still possible for the player to move through that gap. See my bug report thread for further information.

For single player games, I guess that the remaining gap is not much of an issue, since biters seem unable to pathfind through the gap. However, for PvP games, I guess it could be a serious problem if it is possible for players to simply walk through the walls of their opponent's base.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”