Quick pick from inventory

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Quick pick from inventory

Post by Tinyboss »

I think it would be great if I could middle click (or whatever) on an item in the world, to select that kind of item from my inventory, if I'm carrying it. That's all.

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Quick pick from inventory

Post by ThaPear »

Like the pipette tool in some other games. I'd like that as well.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I would like this; I use that shortcut in Minecraft a lot :D
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

This would be very helpful. Maybe holding down middle click or side clicking would craft the item if you don't have any left.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

I went ahead and implemented this as a mod. It's not perfect, since as far as I can tell we don't have access to any click events or mouse status, so instead of middle-clicking on things, you hover over them for one second. If you have any in your inventory, then it pulls up to a full stack of them into your cursor. If not, it prints a message saying you have none in your inventory.

I've made sure it works, but I haven't spent a play session using it yet. Hopefully it's helpful.

aequitas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make pipette tool work in inventory

Post by aequitas »

It took me a while to get used to the pipette tool but I use it all the time now and love it. However lately I think I overshot and discovered I'm also trying to use the pipette tool inside the inventory menu to select an item to build, instead of using the left mouse button for this.

Would it be an idea to bind the configured pipette key to selecting an item in the inventory menu as well? As far as I could see there is no explicit keybinding configurable for menu item selection, but even then I wouldn't want to loose the left mouse button and secondary bindings are currently not supported.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Make pipette tool work in inventory

Post by gsezz »

edit.
I'm not sure if I got that right. You want to use the pipette tool in the build menu to basicly quick select existing items from the Inventory? Instead of searching the inventory, you could select them from the build menu, which we all know like the back of our hands. This would be a great feature.

Also for the build menu:
It would be nice to see the count of allready existing items on the icons in the build menu, on top of the buildable count.

teleksterling
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by teleksterling »

I find I've started trying to using the pipette tool everywhere too! I'd welcome this as an addition.

It also frustrates me now to see youtubers not using it.
It feels a little like this: http://smbc-comics.com/comic/punishment

aequitas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by aequitas »

gsezz wrote:edit.
I'm not sure if I got that right. You want to use the pipette tool in the build menu to basicly quick select existing items from the Inventory? Instead of searching the inventory, you could select them from the build menu, which we all know like the back of our hands. This would be a great feature.

Also for the build menu:
It would be nice to see the count of allready existing items on the icons in the build menu, on top of the buildable count.
You didn't get me right, as I only thought of it for the inventory menu, maybe I explained it wrong. I just find myself pressing 'q' instead of clicking on inventory items.

But... I really like your idea as well as like you said the location of those elements is carved into our memories.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

If you play with Angel Bob the amount of different things in your inventory gets ridiculous huge and there is a big problem to find your stuff.
The crafting menu is nicely divided into folders and you can also use the search field, that makes it easier to find stuff. The inventory on the other hand lack any convenient help to find anything. So it would be a great help if I could use Q in the crafting menu and more or less make the horrible inventory obsolete. It's still bad in vanilla it's only that the problem gets so much worse with the mods.
I have wasted so much time trying to find right thing to be able to select them.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same suggestion.
Also related : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45724
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”