Feedback and suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Feedback and suggestions

Post by Balinor »

1. I would like to see a research tree in the style of supreme commander 2 for this game. The various research packs could add credits to be spent in this tree then, while also starting a new map with a certain amount of credits available.

2. Early power generation feels off balance. Things like simple wind power would make a big difference I feel.

3. I would add multiple stages of items (easier through the research tree suggestion above). Drills could be upgraded to work faster etc. Start with enough research credits to pick a single type of power generation (steam/wind) and then slow research down.

These are just quick thoughts, when I am able to I will try and make them a little clearer as to my intent.

*Edit 1*

4. Stone walls. I know these are planned but I think they are something that needs to be put in sooner rather than later. To expand on this additionally I would like to see additional structures, some of which can dovetail into the walls such as watch towers. You could have watchtowers that just increase warning on creepers possibly or have them combined with turrets to give a truly defensive and offensive structure.

5. Map. Currently we can just press M to bring up a map of the immediate area. I would like to see this replaced with the radar to give us a minimap. With further research the radar could then be used to show larger areas on the map at greater zoom levels, ore deposits, etc.

*Edit 2*

6. Lasers and Rockets. Laser towers should be harder to produce and research while having greater range. Rocket towers should be introduced in the mean time and rockets should be much cheaper to produce. This gives a better progression to the defensive tools. I would also add a laser rifle that has extended range over the rockets, but is much more expensive to produce and research. This gives an option to take out the creeper rockets then without having to 'game the system'.
Last edited by Balinor on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feedback and suggestions

Post by FreeER »

I rather agree with 2 and i believe 3 is pretty much planned. I'm not sure I care for the credits idea however :) It is also possible on custom scenarios/campaign to simply give the player potions at the start as well.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

Balinor wrote:Start with enough research credits to pick a single type of power generation (steam/wind) and then slow research down.
i like this idea, you'd have to make sure that its only possible to choose one of these options at the start, of course the dev's could make the easiest to implement power source the most expensive (consuming all starting points) while the harder to work power sources could be cheaper and let you choose one or two start bonuses, i.e solar gets some form of capacitor or lets you choose another tech that take some time to get, this is because it is unlimited but it only works half the time. on the other hand wind power could work on a more random basis, but still not be as powerful as solar, and from this you'd get even more bonuses to start.

this cool idea could add HEAPS of initial variability to the start and really influence the endgame, unless of course you like to rebuild your factory often.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

I'm currently going through all the items that can be crafted and came across an oddity. The land mine has a high crafting cost for what it is. It should either have multiple uses or when you put one down it lays half a dozen. I'd also change the material from steel down to iron. Make it more of an early game defensive item. I think I'd even bring it out of the research tree separate from the better ammo.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”