c

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ToedPort

c

Post by ToedPort »

h
Last edited by ToedPort on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: GUI Concept for Factorio

Post by Caine »

ToedPort wrote:My main goals was to make the GUI easier to use, improving the looks and keep allowing all the functionality that the current GUI of Factorio allows.
Let me know what you think! :D
It mainly looks different. Not necessarily better (just my opinion, I expect many to disagree with me). You succeeded at keeping all the functionality since you did not change anything, just stylistically presented it differently. I have no idea how this is easier to use. I need to scroll more on the settings screen, that is not easier, just less efficient.

The impression I had from the GUI update was that they wanted to change things on a more fundamental level. Such as e.g. the removal of split fluid tankers. Matters that more significantly impact usability rather than looks alone.

[edit]Some more stylistic comments.
  • I do not like the new menu background colour. The brownish part. It seems to be more opaque than the original GUI. This hides that awesome background from sight. I liked that I could look through the menus.
  • You have aligned labels and values better. It makes the interface look less busy than before, which is good. It also makes it look like a boring phone app, which is bad.
  • The contrast of the tech-tree is way too bright for me. It hurts my eyes.
[/edit]
[edit2]Forgot to mention. Welcome to the community. Thanks for participating with fresh ideas.[/edit2]
Last edited by Caine on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lemlin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Lemlin »

I have no issues with the current look we have now, but your suggestion is got a more modern look IMO.

ToedPort

Re

Post by ToedPort »

h
Last edited by ToedPort on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToedPort

R

Post by ToedPort »

j
Last edited by ToedPort on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I like this look.

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

ToedPort wrote:I assume here that you are talking about the Advanced settings from the Map Generator. I can see what you are coming from, by having to scroll here there are less options available to you at any given time. This can indeed make it less efficient. But it can also make clearer since you can now focus more on the options you currently see, without being distracted by other options. This can make it easier. I will have a look at it again tho.
Yes indeed. I am not a GUI expert, but I think an important reason these scrolling settings are more common these days is due to a better scalability. With your way they can add as many settings as they want, while the current solution is limited to what fits on a screen.

I just wanted to challenge you a bit on your efficiency claim :) It is hard to measure GUI efficiency (aside from clicks to get something done), especially when it comes to reduction of cognitive load. Your effort seems to be more focused on the latter.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”