Combined ore patches

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Combined ore patches

Post by Brambor »

The idea is simple:

In game we can see lots of patches that are over each other, however on the tile itself is always only one of the resources.

What I would like is to be able to have multiple resources on one tile.

It is now possible for a miner to mine multiple resources by covering more tiles, however it is not the same.

The main difference it would bring is the need of some kind of filtering system when mining such patch.
Side effect would be that you would not feel robbed when one patch is overlapping the other.

The reason not to implement that might be less simple game and need of more sprites. I'm sure thought, that seeing combined Coal and Copper (that is, tiles containing both coal and copper sprites) could be quite pretty.

EDIT:
0.16.17 Update will (hopefuly) bring the splitter update that will allow for easy filtering.
This will easy the filtering part however that might be the anoying part of this idea.

The 'not robbed' and 'beautiful graphic' still stays.
I forgot to mention the graphic difference it brings.
Basicly, I find having an overlap visualy pleasing. Just imagine the difference between
  • regular iron patch (cracked/diseased/cut out...) by copper patch
    and the full iron patch spiced up by copper at one place.
(Hopefuly I will add a screenshots in the future)

As was was pointed out in the comments;
It is possible to have one tile containing more ore as expected resource (One of Bob's mod ore does that).

So the modding possibility is there but in Bob's mod it is one ore giving two items while I want merge of two ore tiles (for example iron + copper) that will have it's uniqe graphic.

One way to do that would be to make sprite for iron + copper and make it as new kind of ore and then whenever iron and copper should generate on the same tile this new ore would be there instead (with both iron and copper equal to what was supposed to be there).
Last edited by Brambor on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Combined ore patches

Post by Koub »

Maybe this is possible through modding, but I don't think vanilla needs this feature.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

I don't know how you'd implement it, but I like the idea. Could make for a nice challenge to find here and there on the map.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If you can't get 2 resources from the same tile, you can always extract some kind of slug, and part the slug into as many resources as you want after.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

A clever modder could probably figure out what Ore Chaos did, and apply it to this.

I am not a clever modder.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/blueblue/orechaos

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

There is also https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Mylon/dangOreus , which is not quite what the op wanted.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Koub wrote:If you can't get 2 resources from the same tile, you can always extract some kind of slug, and part the slug into as many resources as you want after.
From what I remember I actually managed to spawn two ores on same tile at some point in RSO.
I'm not sure if that was an in game bug or it could be done on purpose. It does mess up the graphics a bit and looks strange.

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

I edited it a bit, summing up comments and regarding the .16.17 'splitter' update

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Using on_chunk_generated it should be trivial to spawn two ores in one tile, though that would probably look a bit strange graphically. You can achieve a better look by using layered graphics (requires no new sprites, just code) and custom ores that have two (or more) outputs. Here's what copper/iron ore would look like in 3 variants, from left to right: iron on copper, transparent copper and copper on iron:
Copperferrite
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Dron__
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dron__ »

it is necessary to specify (create) the parameter, content of impurities in %
impurity content.png
impurity content.png (480.79 KiB) Viewed 3678 times

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

eradicator wrote:Using on_chunk_generated it should be trivial to spawn two ores in one tile, though that would probably look a bit strange graphically. You can achieve a better look by using layered graphics (requires no new sprites, just code) and custom ores that have two (or more) outputs. Here's what copper/iron ore would look like in 3 variants, from left to right: iron on copper, transparent copper and copper on iron:
Thanks eradicator, looks quite good!
Dron__ wrote:it is necessary to specify (create) the parameter, content of impurities in %
Dron__ I do not understand, I think that this would not give the player the information of the other ore (whether is it copper or what).
I think it would not give them the exact numbers as the Bob's mode would... Like if there is 17k iron and 203 copper (It is Galena that gives Lead and Nickel)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”