Mmoctorio

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Joman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mmoctorio

Post by Joman »

Just random idea that came into my mind.

Factorio goes MMO.

Every player play on his own map but there are some input and output facilities that allow to trade, attack ect.
Player can conquer map pieces filled with resources on strategic map and later this piece is added to his normal game.

Attack and defence will be calculated by number of war robots produced in factories.

As long as resources will be valuable players with most optimized factories would win.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mmoctorio

Post by FishSandwich »

This sounds like a cool idea, but another style of multiplayer is already coming with 0.11

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Interesting idea, but really that's nothing more than a metagame. That sort of thing could actually be built on top of Factorio without actually being built into Factorio. Though I don't really know that it would be particularly worth it in the long run. Keeping in mind that "trade" really requires supply and demand. The game is ultimately built to provide all the supply you need to meet your demand in your own map. I can't really see many if any situations where you'd need to trade to get something that you don't already have or have the ability to make. Trade without demand is largely a gimmick and unnecessary, certainly not worth investing significant development resources into. As far as the combat I would have to say that again the value of this would be limited. I think the majority of players who are interested in any form of multiplayer are more interested in cooperative play than competitive. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't players who want combat, simply put that they are very much in the minority.

This is a game of creation. If you haven't kept up with other games of creations I'll give you a few pointers in the form of a simple word. Griefers. Of every creation based game that has come on the market to include multiplayer you have ended up with people whose sole interest and goal is to destroy and harm other peoples work and effort. At times going to fairly extreme lengths to achieve this as well. Personally I'd love to see some honest competitive aspects to Factorio however the reality is that as with all games of creation you are going to have people who aren't actually in it for anything other than pissing other people off. Now factor all these things in and you can probably see why investing development time into such a direction is not particularly worth it.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Too much work would be required, multiplayer is more than enough for this game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

TGS wrote:ended up with people whose sole interest and goal is to destroy and harm other peoples work and effort. At times going to fairly extreme lengths to achieve this as well. Personally I'd love to see some honest competitive aspects to Factorio however the reality is that as with all games of creation you are going to have people who aren't actually in it for anything other than pissing other people off.
Wouldn't that be a cool game: Built up a factory and when the built-up-time ends the players switch their maps and each player tries to destroy as much as possible. Which isn't that easy, as it sounds, because the other player has of course fortified his factory or there are so much resources, that the bots will easily catch up with the destruction.

I think this would be pure fun, cause it isn't that easy.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”