Waste Products

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gebrial
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Waste Products

Post by gebrial »

I like having to deal with empty barrels when you empty the contents of them using a factory. I feel like other mid/late-game products should have waste products that you have to deal with. I feel like this would add a huge opportunity to use(pollute) lakes/land far away from your home base and add another way for me to annoy biters.

NeXuS
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Waste Products

Post by NeXuS »

That's quite a cool idea. =)

I'd like the idea of heaving a waste water output in one of the nice blue lakes seeing it changing to purple/brown/gray...

The_Mtn_Dew_Master
Inserter
Inserter

Post by The_Mtn_Dew_Master »

Having something like this would bring a new way of dealing with pollution
but what would cause/make this waste product?
And also I think there could start to be difficulties with this because depending on what makes it may make problems with peoples older factory’s because if they where to change a recipe of something where you will get more then the one type of product all of the the inserters will start to grab the product you want and the waste and put it on the same belt and then your whole factory will be screwed. (I hope all of that made sense)

So changing recipes dramatically like that by making stuff have more then the one type of product will most likely stuff up old factory’s.

So I like the idea depending on what recipe you would change.
It will take some time to decide what my signature will be...

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

There is a mod for that. If you want to deal with recipe byproducts you could play with Bobs + Angels, or with Seablock (based on Bobs + Angels)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

You have a tank.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I like the idea of pollution being real items that you have to deal with in some way.

But it is too easy to just stuff it in a wooden box and then burn that. Or put it in a tank and deconstruct it.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Yeah...
"Nothing can be created or destroyed"
some scientist
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

olafthecat wrote:Yeah...
some scientist
... Everything gets transformed
Antoine Lavoisier who just more or less quoted a geek philosopher from way before BC Anaxagoras :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

gebrial
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gebrial »

The_Mtn_Dew_Master wrote: but what would cause/make this waste product?
And also I think there could start to be difficulties with this because depending on what makes it may make problems with peoples older factory’s because if they where to change a recipe of something where you will get more then the one type of product all of the the inserters will start to grab the product you want and the waste and put it on the same belt and then your whole factory will be screwed. (I hope all of that made sense)
one of the outputs of the would be the waste. So in a factory, the factory would make some waste product along with the intended product. It could be an object(e.g., empty barrels) or fluid. I believe factories in real life often have waste products that they have to deal with, often dumping it in a river/lake. We could do the same thing here with fluids. That mechanic would have to be added (dumping waste fluids/objects into lakes).

I didn't think about how the inserter would grab the waste product as well. If we limit waste products to mid/end-game recipes though it should be okay because then you can just use filter inserters to deal with that. It'll definitely break a lot of things, which I personally wouldn't mind, but I know tons of people would be pissed.

mrvn wrote:But it is too easy to just stuff it in a wooden box and then burn that. Or put it in a tank and deconstruct it.
That sounds hard to automate. Even so, we could make it so that destroying items creates massively more pollution than the items themselves. This way you still have to move the waste away from the factory, and having them disappear into air vs into a lake or a hole in the ground doesn't seem like a difference.

Zavian wrote:There is a mod for that. If you want to deal with recipe byproducts you could play with Bobs + Angels, or with Seablock (based on Bobs + Angels)
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Koub wrote:
olafthecat wrote:Yeah...
some scientist
... Everything gets transformed
Antoine Lavoisier who just more or less quoted a geek philosopher from way before BC Anaxagoras :)
That's his name then! :)
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”