Show patch size before downloading + continue after reset

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Julo133
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Show patch size before downloading + continue after reset

Post by Julo133 »

TL:DR
Show patch size before downloading + allow to continue a download from where i left it. (start from zero after connection lost sux).

Before an update through game menu it would be nice for me to see the size of the thing I'm downloading (ex. PATCH SIZE: 94,1MB).
Updating to 0.16 takes a LOT of time for my slow connection and I'm wondering how many MB i am actually downloading. 10? 100? 2,5GB?
I don't want to criticize to much coz you guys are awesome but a simple:
- size of patch
- size already downloaded
- time remaining
- current speed
....those are pretty simple and basic information

Also
Maybe give me option to download a patch in EXE file so that i can use external program with "CONTINUE DOWNLOADING" option, so that i don't have to start over from the scratch after connection loss.
I suggest to you usage of TORRENT protocol for update. So that users can download patch in EXE from one another. Saves You the bandwidth.

Also
I think that maybe some of my ideas also apply to UPDATE MODS option?

I did some searching for update patch size and download and did not see anything resembling my post so I'm honestly sorry if this is in fact a repost.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Show patch size before downloading + continue after reset

Post by Dev-iL »

Two things you can do:
  1. There's a way to use the Factorio Web API to obtain a direct download link through your browser or REST client. Of course this assumes that you own the game, and then you need to obtain a token, then use the token to connect to another service and get a download link (hints). I personally used this option a lot in the past because only a very specific server would give me decent download speeds, so I had to call the API several times until I got a link for the right server (I remember seeing 2 EU and 2 US servers). After you have the update you need to run Factorio through the command line and apply the patch. I do not have detailed instruction at the moment, but you should know that this is an option. Look at the log Factorio generates during a session that downloads an update to learn about this API.
  2. There's a forum that offers links to pirated versions of Factorio, and there's a user there who posts xdelta updates (in the form of EXE) from one version to the next. These patches tend to be much smaller than the official updates (it seems like official patches contain new versions of changed files, whereas xdelta updates contain only modified pieces of files). However, you should use those at your own risk.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”