Only replace different belt types if they are the same tier

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Teraka
Inserter
Inserter

Only replace different belt types if they are the same tier

Post by Teraka »

The new change in 0.16 to be able to replace belts/undergrounds/splitters with each-other without picking them up first is fantastic. However, it does make upgrading belts slightly harder as it is much easier now to erase balancers or bus splitters when upgrading to a higher tier.

My simple suggestion for this is to simply only allow belts/undergrounds/splitters to replace items that have either the same type or the same tier.

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Only replace different belt types if they are the same tier

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

I second this, with the additional suggestion that belts only fast-replace undergrounds and splitters if they are being replaced in the same orientation.

Caine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Caine »

Yes, I was thinking the same. It is very easy to accidentally wipe your setup now.

I was thinking that belts should maybe not replace splitters and undergrounds while splitters and undergrounds would replace belts.
Replacing them only based on direction is an interesting idea.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I suggested in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54987#p323863
Zavian wrote:I actually feel that you shouldn't be able to replace splitters/undergrounds with belts whilsts running/dragging the mouse. Let players fast replace them by clicking directly on them, but not whilst running/dragging. That would solve almost all the accidental cases of replacing things whilst upgrading belts.
But apparently Kovarex is opposed.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

I really really like the "change type or change tier or change orientation, but not multiple different kinds of change at once" option, that seems to fix all the cases that used to be a little frustrating without adding new ones.

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

Zavian wrote:I suggested in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54987#p323863
Zavian wrote:I actually feel that you shouldn't be able to replace splitters/undergrounds with belts whilsts running/dragging the mouse. Let players fast replace them by clicking directly on them, but not whilst running/dragging. That would solve almost all the accidental cases of replacing things whilst upgrading belts.
This is by far the most annoying feature in 0.16 for me so far. I'm in the same boat and believe it should go the same way they changed cutting trees over an ore patch - if you started by performing one function you don't begin another (e.g. Start cutting trees you don't mine the ore beneath until you let go of the mouse) it should be the same with belts when you begin with a belt replacement and click/run and drag. The scenarios where I want to overwrite splitters and underground belts are far outweighed by the headaches I now have from needing to go back and repair the damage I've done from accidents, both from myself and friends.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

So someone made a mod as Rseding91 suggested in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54987#p323929 . I think it implements

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/ChCole/S ... ickreplace

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

Zavian wrote:So someone made a mod as Rseding91 suggested in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54987#p323929 . I think it implements

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/ChCole/S ... ickreplace
That's fine when I want to play modded, but when I play vanilla this is broken.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I agree that this should be changed. I was just pointing out that the mod exists, and is an option whilst we wait for this to be changed. I was also pointing to the bug report where Rseding91 said
Rseding91 wrote:
I feel the same way but I was overridden by Kovarex :)
So we need to somehow convince Kovarex.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Zavian wrote:So we need to somehow convince Kovarex.
Download & Play with the mod. Mods that have high download & usage rates generally make their way into the base game.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

I wouldnt differentiate different belt tiers, because that seems counter-intuitive. But i like the idea that running-dragging shouldnt replace a splitter for a belt.
IE, to fast replace different types, youd have to single click them.

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

whats worse you cant even rebind that function, somebody needs to be fired

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I agree that swapping different entity types shouldn't happen when dragging over multiple entities.
It would still allow for easy replacement of long belt streches or many splitters at once but wouldn't overwrite stuff where you don't want it.

thebacon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thebacon »

Colossus wrote:
Zavian wrote:I suggested in viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54987#p323863
This is by far the most annoying feature in 0.16 for me so far. I'm in the same boat and believe it should go the same way they changed cutting trees over an ore patch - if you started by performing one function you don't begin another (e.g. Start cutting trees you don't mine the ore beneath until you let go of the mouse) it should be the same with belts when you begin with a belt replacement and click/run and drag. The scenarios where I want to overwrite splitters and underground belts are far outweighed by the headaches I now have from needing to go back and repair the damage I've done from accidents, both from myself and friends.
I agree, came here to suggest this. I like that I can quick place underground and splitters.

But I've never thought "Wouldn't it be great if I could spam belts and replace all my splitters super fast?"

I almost always build by placing splitters and under grounds, then spamming belts in a straight line.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Fast replacement of underground belts is great.

Fast replacing belts with splitters is also great.

Fast replacing splitters with belts is... I dunno. I think it's one of those personal preference things. For me, it causes more issues than it helps. It especially gets in the way of belt upgrades because your entire splitter line gets wiped out. And now with smart splitters that means your splitter options ALSO get wiped out. Not a fan.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”