[16.0] Chat closing with '

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Velyks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[16.0] Chat closing with '

Post by Velyks »

This has been an issue for as long as I can remember.

By default chat is opened with ' and closed with either ', <Enter/Return>, or Esc; this is an issue when attempting to type grammatically correct English or other languages that use ' as punctuation. From what I can remember no other game uses the same button to open and close chat. Rebinding it to another key just makes you unable to type message including that key instead. I've forgotten the amount of times I've accidentally discarded a long chat message because I've tried to use an apostrophe correctly there have been that many.

Please could ' be changed to only open the chat, and have Enter and Esc close the chat either by sending the message or discarding the message.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16] Chat closing with '

Post by Klonan »

This was specifically changed by kovarex, and thus is not a bug

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [16.0] Chat closing with '

Post by Koub »

If I may suggest, I rebinded the "chat" key to "Enter". It is extremely convenient to use.
Another possibility would be that a message being typed could be kept as is upon close/reopen of the chat.
I'll move this to Ideas and Suggestions : This might be currently WAI, but open to discussion.
[Koub] Topic moved accordingly
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [16.0] Chat closing with '

Post by quyxkh »

I switched my console key to CONTROL+SLASH for 0.16, that's working well for me.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”