An admin command to disable chunk generation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

An admin command to disable chunk generation

Post by CmdrKeen »

I'd like to see implemented a command that disables/enables chunk generation. This is mainly because I've seen several servers get shut down for running over the assigned memory limit for a hosted server.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: An admin command to disable chunk generation

Post by Klonan »

CmdrKeen wrote:I'd like to see implemented a command that disables/enables chunk generation. This is mainly because I've seen several servers get shut down for running over the assigned memory limit for a hosted server.
I would say its maybe easier to just limit the map,
But it still wouldn't solve the problem, as more entities will always be built by players, and eventually run over the RAM limit

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

How much RAM are we talking about? Is it 32bit ram space only? Just curious.

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

Dreepa wrote:How much RAM are we talking about? Is it 32bit ram space only? Just curious.
The OP mentioned hosted servers, so the limit could be very low (MBs to a few GB)

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

Klonan wrote:
CmdrKeen wrote:I'd like to see implemented a command that disables/enables chunk generation. This is mainly because I've seen several servers get shut down for running over the assigned memory limit for a hosted server.
But it still wouldn't solve the problem, as more entities will always be built by players, and eventually run over the RAM limit
I understand that limiting the map dimensions is an option, but that permanently restricts the size of the surface, whereas the RAM limitations might be a temporary issue (as people can upgrade the amount of ram on a rented server).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

CmdrKeen wrote:
Klonan wrote:
I understand that limiting the map dimensions is an option, but that permanently restricts the size of the surface, whereas the RAM limitations might be a temporary issue (as people can upgrade the amount of ram on a rented server).
Limiting chunk generation just stops entities/tiles from generating - it's effectively the same as setting a map size limit. In 0.16 you can runtime change the map size limit with console commands.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

Rseding91 wrote:...Limiting chunk generation just stops entities/tiles from generating - it's effectively the same as setting a map size limit. In 0.16 you can runtime change the map size limit with console commands.
A suitable implementation.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”