Right click on free ground is unused! -> Rotation via mouse!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Right click on free ground is unused! -> Rotation via mouse!

Post by Dreepa »

Current:
Building belts manually means using R to rotate a lot, switching to splitters, switching to tunnels, switching back to beltes, rotate etc.

Problem:
Rather clunky UX flow. Pick up, rotate, rotate, place, open inventory, put away, take other, close inventory, rotate, rotate, place, rotate, place etc. Basically: You rotate a lot.

This can be done better and with better UX and QoL.

Idea:
Since right mouse button is unused when building on free ground (non-blocked), you could easily make it a quick select for rotation direction. Click, drag, release. Direction of drag = Facing of object. No more 'r' 'r' 'r' to get the right facing.

Profit!

PS:This actually should also work on blocked ground, but might lead to accidental deletions in the world. A case for prototyping and feeling it 1st hand I guess.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Right click on free ground is unused! -> Rotation via mouse!

Post by Rseding91 »

It sounds like you don't know the pipette tool exists. "Q" by default: anything you mouse over and press "Q" will be put into your cursor if you have one in your inventory and rotated to match the entity in the world.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Right click on free ground is unused! -> Rotation via mouse!

Post by JohnyDL »

I put the eyedropper/picker/pipette tool on my middle mouse button and have R for rotate one way and remap shift+R to one of my mouse buttons, means I can do the things you suggest with my mouse mostly.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”