Auto-Request

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Auto-Request

Post by FuryoftheStars »

nuhll wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:02 pm
and just for the record i have "every" important building automated, its about the game flow which is not working. requesting stuff is too complicated. the UI sucks
As ssilk said, this is a separate issue, and I believe there are already multiple suggestions out there for improving it, some of which I'm pretty sure I've seen you post in (or even start maybe; been a while since I looked).
BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:59 pm
ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:59 am
I see where this leads to and as moderator I take more and more into account to move this to “won’t I implement”. Convince me. :)
Since a picture speaks better than the previous X words :
my_basedom_for_melamine_!.png
Well, again, I see an issue that is caused by mods, which means that the actual suggestion would have limited if any value to the unmodded game. Not to mention that this suggestion, as presented in the OP, I disagree with. (Though I want to make it clear here again, that I do support the idea of temp requests.)
And again, I see many requests for the raw materials to hand craft things, space that could instead be used for requesting the final desired products?
Qon wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:09 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
Would the interface interaction required be really possible with a mod ?
The interfaces already provided by the game are completely unmoddable, so the answer is no regardless of what the requested interaction is.
It is possible to mod in completely new and separate GUI, that are a bit worse but are otherwise clones of the vanilla interface but has the wanted behavior.
But making a clone of an already working GUI is a lot of work, is going to be a cheap knock-off clone, would be a worse experience because it is a separate menu etc. Modders would love to be able to add in new stuff and new interaction methods to the GUI and the game if that API option was there.
And if this is true, that only modding the interface is a way to accomplish this, then maybe if a modding interface request were to be made to allow for events when someone clicks on the appropriate elements will fire and allow the modder to change the request as needed?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:26 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
ssilk wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:59 am
I see where this leads to and as moderator I take more and more into account to move this to “won’t I implement”. Convince me. :)
Since a picture speaks better than the previous X words :
my_basedom_for_melamine_!.png
Well, again, I see an issue that is caused by mods, which means that the actual suggestion would have limited if any value to the unmodded game. Not to mention that this suggestion, as presented in the OP, I disagree with. (Though I want to make it clear here again, that I do support the idea of temp requests.)
Even if only the immediate (solid) ingredients for handcrafting are thus requested, not any down the chain ?
And again, I see many requests for the raw materials to hand craft things, space that could instead be used for requesting the final desired products?
That's because there are waaaaaaaay more "final desired products" that could be crafted from this comparatively limited number of ingredients !
(See the ~60 brown + yellow/red/blue (later purple for mk4) buildings on the right ? Repeat that for most of the 12 crafting tabs !)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:45 pm
Even if only the immediate (solid) ingredients for handcrafting are thus requested, not any down the chain ?
No, I don't think I'd want that either. (This all, of course, is my personal opinion.)
BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:45 pm
That's because there are waaaaaaaay more "final desired products" that could be crafted from this comparatively limited number of ingredients !
(See the ~60 brown + yellow/red/blue (later purple for mk4) buildings on the right ? Repeat that for most of the 12 crafting tabs !)
But do you really need all of them with you at all times? I mean, for me, if I'm not just clearing and holding all territory (and thus am always "in network"), I typically carry around what's needed to clear and hold outpost territory, then use builder trains to carry in the rest that's needed.

I get the UI has issues that become more apparent with mods, but I feel like there may be other ways to solve this that feel like they fit with the game better? And may have uses outside of with mods. Temporary requests could help, but I also wonder about saved... lists? (my mind is failing to find a better word)... of requests that you can quick switch between. I think there may be other improvements that could be made without it turning into an automatic handcrafter. :) I know I've seen some, but my mind fails to remember or come up with any others myself atm.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

But do you really need all of them with you at all times?
Well, yes, then I can craft the stuff I might lack on the spot ! (Logibots aren't fast enough IMHO.)

*Eventually* I was indeed thinking of having a dedicated train with all the finished placeables I might need, but that's probably way down the line, when I'm going to need multiples of different buildings per recipe...
lists? (my mind is failing to find a better word)... of requests that you can quick switch between
"Presets" ?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AutoTrash

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LogisticRequestManager

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:26 am
Well, yes, then I can craft the stuff I might lack on the spot ! (Logibots aren't fast enough IMHO.)
Sorry, I was referring more to the comment about the 60 other buildings x 12 crafting tabs.
BlueTemplar wrote:
lists? (my mind is failing to find a better word)... of requests that you can quick switch between
"Presets" ?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AutoTrash

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LogisticRequestManager
Yes, exactly!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:28 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
Sorry, I was referring more to the comment about the 60 other buildings x 12 crafting tabs.
Well, no, that's why I do not carry them with me, but carry intermediate products to craft them instead !
(Except sometimes you get some kind of annoying intermediate like melamine, which is literally only used in 1 building...)

IconicBacon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Easy QoL Improvement: Auto-Request!

Post by IconicBacon »

JohnyDL wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:59 pm
Except the game does everything it can to push you to autocrafting and while the idea is simple, it really isn't.

Let's say you're crafting a satellite what should it request, the direct ingredients for the satellite or the things that make those or the things that make those or everything that is needed that the player can't craft themselves. Crafting some things from nearly raw ingredients would literally take days, and you 'could' do it but not have all the ingredients delivered 'in 10 seconds' instead if you had enough to start crafting some sub component like copper to wire for circuit boards should it start you on the path and when it reaches the 'failure' point stop instead? but that would require crafting items to have ingredients stored in the inventory rather than in the crafting... it's not as simple as it could be, and it's a QOL for hand crafting which the devs do everything they reasonably can to discourage
While aiming for complete autonomy is always the goal of factorio is it really a good idea to spend extra power and time to set up a crafting line to make one single item? The idea of hand crafting things is that you make stuff that either your currently incapable of autocrafting or something you make once upon a blue moon and likely will never need again. I mean does it make any sense to autocraft guns? You only need one of each at most, two if your worried about dying and losing your stuff. Some things just dont make sense to automate that way. Plus we already have a system that crafts everything from the most raw resources. I mean at the bottom of every crafting recipe their is a little section called raw resources. It would make sense to have them automattically request resources from there. Then while more convenient it would stil accomplish the goal of discouraging hand crafting since many late game recipes have mulitple components with long crafting times.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”