Option for trains to deal zero damage to players

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Option for trains to deal zero damage to players

Post by bobucles »

Since when is the puzzle's punishment death?
Why can't it be? Factorio death is pretty simple. You drop your loot and corpse run to pick it up. It's not a huge setback. The only time it becomes an issue is when the player builds far away from spawn. There's no way to change the spawn location so a far flung base becomes its own kind of risk. That's not very important to this discussion though.
I just bring this up, as others were pissed of by my train network
Then maybe the problem exists between the user and keyboard? There ARE solutions to making the train network safer. There ARE ways to avoid getting run over. The most effective way that works 100% of the time is to not stand on train tracks. Should biters stop biting me because I don't like to shoot them? No. Trains shouldn't stop being trains just because you're racing for the Darwin awards.

This idea only creates more issues than it solves. Why can trains run over biters but not players? Why can tanks run over some things but not others? What if a player just wants to grief your train network by standing on the tracks? No. It's a dumb idea. You need to learn to stop attacking people who tell you that bad ideas are bad. If you can't even find the issues that your idea generates, never mind find ways to overcome them, then act like the trains you dream about and stop.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

The answer is still in my last post. I made analogies there.
Everything CAN be. You can even have meteoroids falling down on your base killing you. If the designer wants that.

Nowhere did I say to turn this feature off for people like you.
Nowhere did I say there are no solutions.
Stop with the strawmanning.

My case was really simple and clear:
Protecting all your rails across the map against accidents = Boring task
Pissing off your friends by wanting to use trains when they dislike them due to accidents = Not a good experience

Everything else (you can fix it easily, you are bitching / complaining, stop being mad about it, blabla yalla yalla) comes from other minds that read stuff into things that isn't there.

This is not about not knowing how to fix the problem. This is about wanting to customize the gameplay experience towards specific needs.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Dreepa wrote:This is not about not knowing how to fix the problem. This is about wanting to customize the gameplay experience towards specific needs.
Sounds like it should be a mod then

On a related note, I will move this to ideas and suggestions, as it isn't related to balancing anything

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

You can easily mod this in: just give the player 100% resistance to impact damage.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

If you're immune to the damage would you still get tossed across the map? That would be kind of funny. :lol:

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Even funnier would be watching a train plow through another train, only to stop when it hits a player.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I would love the option to make trains safe.
The only thing that makes my kid nervous while playing Factorio are the trains which might run over him. And while this is also an educational moment sometimes you might want to avoid it.
If this is easily moddable I would love to see the mod for it.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zavian wrote:Even funnier would be watching a train plow through another train, only to stop when it hits a player.
this made me remember something

there's something strange when a fast moving train smashs into the back end of a slower moving train.

if a moving train hits a stationary train, it might blow up the end carriage, slow significantly in the process, then stop when it hits and damages the second.
if the second train is moving however, it just ploughs straight through and demolishes the whole train without a trace.

Also on that note, I've been manually driving a train on my rail network before and a train has ploughed into me. I'm not sure why but the lights let the automated train through, and it killed me. (usually it would be the other way around, me ploughing into an automated train. Locomotive's revenge!)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

There was another post (bug report maybe) that mentioned that when you're manually driving you don't reserve blocks like automatic trains, so if you merge or cross, the other locomotive may not have time to stop.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

leitk wrote:There was another post (bug report maybe) that mentioned that when you're manually driving you don't reserve blocks like automatic trains, so if you merge or cross, the other locomotive may not have time to stop.
Those are the dangers of manual driving :) Do it at your own risk.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

"Ages" ago there was a mod that made the player automatically jump off the tracks when a train comes. I guess nobody remembers this anymore? Or cares to update it ^^.

Also if you spawn in a player-port you can respawn with all your equipment, so the only thing you lose is the time walking back to where you were.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

eradicator wrote:"Ages" ago there was a mod that made the player automatically jump off the tracks when a train comes. I guess nobody remembers this anymore? Or cares to update it ^^.

Also if you spawn in a player-port you can respawn with all your equipment, so the only thing you lose is the time walking back to where you were.
You can respawn in single player and multiplayer and go get all your stuff back from your body so all you ever lose is time.

Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dreepa »

Rseding91 wrote:
eradicator wrote:"Ages" ago there was a mod that made the player automatically jump off the tracks when a train comes. I guess nobody remembers this anymore? Or cares to update it ^^.

You can respawn in single player and multiplayer and go get all your stuff back from your body so all you ever lose is time.

BTW: I think the game could communicate this more clearly.
Something like a waypoint "Player's grave" with a small hint on screen after death.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

This topic has got w-a-y to aggressive!
Calm it down guys. :)
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

olafthecat wrote:This topic has got w-a-y to aggressive!
Calm it down guys. :)
[Koub] I concur : I'd rather not moderate, so please be civil
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Dreepa wrote:Since when is the puzzle's punishment death?
Saw 1, saw 2, saw 3, saw 4, saw 5. :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

As a side note: While you are building safe rail crossings build some roads and make sure there are not power poles or underground pipes on/near them so your friends stop driving over them. (I bet they do that too, all my friends do)

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

No way this belongs in the vanilla game. Getting hit by trains repeatedly encourages you to build solutions so you can cross tracks safely.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Heh. I haven't worried about getting run over by a train for a while.
The game has corpses now. You can just go and loot your corpse.

Its when I get killed by biters I get irritated, but since I set corpse decay duration to like 8 hours, I just go and build another powered armor, fight my way in, and loot my corpse.

There is something hilarious about being able to loot your own corpse....

That said, I have to try train crossings at some point. Never got one working satisfactorally, and I want to build one myself.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Factorio - train damage option.jpg
Factorio - train damage option.jpg (50.73 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”