train stop circuit network 'contents' should include player

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

anthonykirby
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

train stop circuit network 'contents' should include player

Post by anthonykirby »

In order to detect the presence of the player in a train, I suggest that "a player is on the train" could/should be included in the circuit network output by a train stop.

The circuit network output for a train stop can currently be configured to output the contents of the wagons. It would be useful if the circuit network could instead/additionally be able to detect whether the player is in the train.
The interface for this could be adding to the "train contents" or as an additional option for the train stop.

What's the use case for this? On a large map, trains are the only way to get around. It would be useful to be able to create a train specifically for player transport; it's waiting at a stop, and it automatically starts (via circuit network) when the player gets on.

(This then leaves an interesting challenge to make sure that there's a train waiting ready at each stop, but not surplus ones getting in the way. Multiple platforms for different destinations etc.)

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Re: train stop circuit network 'contents' should include player

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

I like the idea of the player being a signal. It would be useful for train routes where you want to do something extra if the player is onboard.

Longbolt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Longbolt »

Yeah, an Occupied / Unoccupied condition could be easily added. This is one of those quality of life details that would make the game better.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I like this suggestion very much.

If my suggestion of track signals reading Train ID and contents and sending them to the circuit network were implemented, and if your suggestion that the number of players should also count as "train content" were implemented, then it would be possible for personal transport to be prioritized. The circuit network could give priority to trains containing at least one player by forcing the signals of all trains without players on them to red.

Related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57742 Express/Priority Trains

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I don't play multiplayer, but should it instead be some sort of identifier so you can tell WHO is on the train? Then you could check for if it's unoccupied, occupied, or check for the specific presence or lack of a specific player.

J o
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by J o »

I'd like to push this suggestion back to a noticeable level because this is not implemented in 0.18.6 yet.

I did lately came across the same idea, because then a shuttle network is easily buildable, where one can call a train by circuit condition to a Pax station and send the train to any other Pax station whithout manually open or close specific stations.

User_Name2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by User_Name2 »

J o wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:07 pm
I'd like to push this suggestion back to a noticeable level because this is not implemented in 0.18.6 yet.

I did lately came across the same idea, because then a shuttle network is easily buildable, where one can call a train by circuit condition to a Pax station and send the train to any other Pax station whithout manually open or close specific stations.
I thought you can add "Passenger present" to the train depart conditions in scheduler to get the same effect?

J o
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by J o »

I thought you can add "Passenger present" to the train depart conditions in scheduler to get the same effect?
Actually no.

If you have a shuttle network of N stations and all are constantly open, one have to call a train manually to a desired station where he wants to go from.
And if the train have the condition to leave only if a passenger is present, it would directly leave and go to every station between the start and the end (if not manually send directly to a destination. Worsed case, the train leaves in the wrong direction befor sending it to the actual destination. Not game changing but annoying)

It is well know that with a gate you can open a station which would act like a "train come here i need you" if all pax stations are closed.

Once in that train u cant go to any other shuttle station because they are all closed and have to be manually opend by uncheck the active/deactive checkbox, if wired to a lamp or something.

But if the signal "Player is in the train" opens all pax stations, one can choose a destination in the trains station list. After the player leave the train at the destination station the train wait there until he is called to another station or the player enters the train again.

Anyway, this suggestion is just a consistent update, because everything else is already available (I may not yet stuggled with other informations which cant get through circuit networks).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”