Discord Rich Presence / GameBridge

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

badgamernl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Discord Rich Presence / GameBridge

Post by badgamernl »

TL;DR
Factorio Discord Rich Presence / GameBridge integration.
What ?
Discord Rich Presence (see Example).
More info on Rich Presence:
https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us ... -Presence-
Developer documentation:
https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/ ... h-presence
Example
I made a quick example for you guys to show what it could look like: ( This is just a example of what could be possible )*
Factorio image is a bit cropped, I know.
Why ?
This would also attract new players. Not just to Factorio but also to our communities and it makes it easy for people to join
Last edited by badgamernl on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Explosive Gaming a factorio server community, or join the discord --

despicable_bapple
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Discord Rich Presence / GameBridge

Post by despicable_bapple »

This would be really useful for when I am playing a public game and want to invite lots of people without having to add them on steam or tell them what the game name is called

badgamernl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by badgamernl »

After seeing a lot of games implement this feature and the games getting free publicity. I am still waiting for Factorio devs to NOT think about bot changes and think about things that actually add something to the game. <3
-- Explosive Gaming a factorio server community, or join the discord --

CC007
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CC007 »

This would also be nice for people to join a pvp map.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I don't understand why discord is even such a big thing. it's a terrible program.
rant
It's actually not a bad idea though.

I personally would never use it, I run chat clients like Skype/telegram/discord/trillian on a laptop, while gaming on a PC.
rant2
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

bobingabout wrote:I don't understand why discord is even such a big thing. it's a terrible program.
rant_too
TL;DR: Please don't waste dev time on integration with a program that's going to be replaced in at most two years when the next "big thing" comes and promises a freshly polished holy grail of communication because the old one has started to accumulate some dust.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

@bob, @eradicator: Your inability to use the program does not mean it's bad. Discord lets you easily find where you were mentioned by clicking the @ symbol next to your user name at the bottom left. And eradicator that the person you want to talk with doesnt use DMs isnt the programs fault. Servers are not encouraged over DMs by the program, if your friend doesnt use it, it isnt the applications fault.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bilka wrote:@bob, @eradicator: Your inability to use the program does not mean it's bad. Discord lets you easily find where you were mentioned by clicking the @ symbol next to your user name at the bottom left. And eradicator that the person you want to talk with doesnt use DMs isnt the programs fault. Servers are not encouraged over DMs by the program, if your friend doesnt use it, it isnt the applications fault.
do_not_read
Did you want to say anything on topic or just rant at my rant?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

eradicator wrote:...
Noone ever said that Discord is better than any other communication program in this topic. Discords main advantage is the combination of different features you have on other programs (TS3, Skype, ...) with only having ONE program instead of many. There might be other programs in the near of not-so-far future, but they will most likely end up like Minecraft clone games did.

If you don't want to talk on servers or Group DM's, then don't talk on there. If your don't like Discord (or any other program), then simply don't use it. If your friend switched to Discord and turned off any other way of communication, just don't use Discord until they realize that someone isn't using Discord and turn the other things back on. If they let you alone then sorry, that's not a friend in my opinion. Reality is always sounding harsh.

Graphical problems in the web version are depening on hardware and used browser. Try downloading the client, that might work better.
If you want to remove Discord from the system because it's not working better on client, uninstall it.

And please keep the discussion civil.

Rich presence on Discord might be worth a consideration in a later state of the game. The current goal is to stabilize 0.16 and not to implement features on other programs.
Former moderator.

Zedrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zedrox »

I support this idea, although I agree it probably shouldn't be a priority. Discord integration is a lovely QoL feature which helps indicate to friends what you are currently doing. As with most Steam games you can look at 'View game info', frequently games are not implementing this functionality (such as Factorio). Discord rich presence is a good alternative which avoids the awkward "What are you doing" or disruptive call during gameplay. It's great for immersion when your pals can suddenly appear in-game next to you!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, the OP wants to specifically join a game with someone through Discord.
Can you already do that through steam?
I also have a Patreon.

Zedrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zedrox »

bobingabout wrote:Okay, the OP wants to specifically join a game with someone through Discord.
I don't think so, admittedly I haven't tried in a while.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Zedrox wrote:
bobingabout wrote:Okay, the OP wants to specifically join a game with someone through Discord.
I don't think so, admittedly I haven't tried in a while.
Considering Factorio is a steam game, I would sugest that the devs first do that as part of steam integration, then once it's complete consider extending it to 3rd party systems, such as Discord.
I also have a Patreon.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

hi, i think anything that has potential to help players play factorio is good ,BUT, i too have had bad experiences with Discord (especially the support process when they forced 2 factor suddenly and i lost access to my account because i had never set up a 2 factor at the start when i simply got invited by a friend to start using discord), so as good as the basic discord site may have been, that just put me off discord for a long time and id only use it again if i really needed to or if i really wanted to)

sorry if slightly off topic, but yes i would say a good steam integration will be good to maintain, bearing in mind that i bought the game on steam my self :)
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Instead of "Integrating it with Discord", use a launch protocol/URI and register it as a handler with the various operating systems.
In the same way a user clicks https://blah and it opens up a web browser or steam://whatever-game-it-is, make a factorio://blah URI.

That way every application can integrate with it instead of trying to do it with non-standard/proprietary interfaces.

Fahrradkette
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fahrradkette »

Guess Mumble is better suited for Factorio since it's quite light on CPU usage since it doesn't need to run a browser (electron) in order to work.

In the other hand, for Mumble isn't backed by a big hype company, it's less likely to change its api so the developers miss out on the great opportunity of chasing a moving target.
(I see myself out)

Zedrox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zedrox »

BenSeidel wrote:Instead of "Integrating it with Discord", use a launch protocol/URI and register it as a handler with the various operating systems.
In the same way a user clicks https://blah and it opens up a web browser or steam://whatever-game-it-is, make a factorio://blah URI.

That way every application can integrate with it instead of trying to do it with non-standard/proprietary interfaces.
This is a good suggestion, but is uniquely different to this request. Adding a protocol handler would not allow users to see rich presence in the way the OP requested and I would also like.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Fahrradkette wrote:Guess Mumble is better suited for Factorio since it's quite light on CPU usage since it doesn't need to run a browser (electron) in order to work.
Why does everyone have to run their own browser nowadays. Damn webapp hype >_>.
Zedrox wrote:
BenSeidel wrote:Instead of "Integrating it with Discord", use a launch protocol/URI and register it as a handler with the various operating systems.

This is a good suggestion, but is uniquely different to this request. Adding a protocol handler would not allow users to see rich presence in the way the OP requested and I would also like.
Adding a universal protocol handler for quick invites should definetly be done before wasting huge amounts of time chasing the latest hype. And even that should only be done after steam. (If any of those happen at all.)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Fahrradkette wrote:Guess Mumble is better suited for Factorio since it's quite light on CPU usage since it doesn't need to run a browser (electron) in order to work.

In the other hand, for Mumble isn't backed by a big hype company, it's less likely to change its api so the developers miss out on the great opportunity of chasing a moving target.
(I see myself out)
Mumble is awesome. it runs whenever my gaming computer is running.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”