Mod settings per saves

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Fourwingsy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Mod settings per saves

Post by Fourwingsy »

TL;DR
Mod settings have to be configured save by save. Not the global settings of game.
What ?
Mainly
- Save mod settings per save (it seems it does)
- Load mods when saved game is loading
Configuring Mods
- When starting new game, show mod list to choose which mods will be activated. default settings will be ALL activated.
- Do not apply new installed mods in saved game.
- add new system: apply some mods in this play: will save and reload the game with mods.
Why ?
I tried to play multiple saves. Some with mods, and some vanilla factorio plays.
When i want to play vanilla saves, I have to disable all mods. And When I jumped to vanilla to modded play, all mods are going disabled.
When I want to play modded saves, I have to enable all mods (or some). And when I jumped to modded to vanilla, all modes are being enabled.
It is annoying.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod settings per saves

Post by eradicator »

Did you try "Sync mods with save"?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53645
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

eradicator wrote:Did you try "Sync mods with save"?
Mods and Mod settings are two different things :
If you have two games with exact same list of mods, but radically different setting for each mod, you'll need half an hour to switch the settings for each mod when you switch games.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The game at its core doesn't support the concept of "mod sets" which is what you describe. To change that would mean re-writing how the game uses mods which isn't likely to happen.

What you want is a launcher that lets you configure mods as packs of mods and then launch the game with those.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

A launcher is something a lot of games do, and in general I think it is a good idea.
I think a launcher that let you change graphics settings, and install/update/activate/deactivate mods and tweak mod settings before loading the full game would be useful. Even better if it supported modpacks (a .zip of mod) and mod directories (a directory of mod + settings).

Fourwingsy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Fourwingsy »

eradicator wrote:Did you try "Sync mods with save"?
Oh, i tried after you mentioned it.
It makes a lot more comfortable. Nice.
But Before the game has the feature, I will click that button hundreds of times. maybe.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

A launcher is a good idea for numerous reasons.

The biggest advantage I think it can bring is a cheap quick loading front end program that can handle all the downloads and updates, including mod installs without having to spend 20 minutes pressing a few buttons between the game loading and restarting several times.

My game isn't installed on an SSD... you notice how long it takes to load.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

It is a bit annoying that you have to load eeeeeverything before being able to change mod settings. Then to apply those settings you have to load everything all over again!

I work around it by copy+pasting the entire game with my 2 major mod loadouts. Switching between them is as easy as using a shortcut.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:The game at its core doesn't support the concept of "mod sets" which is what you describe. To change that would mean re-writing how the game uses mods which isn't likely to happen.

What you want is a launcher that lets you configure mods as packs of mods and then launch the game with those.
Shouldn't it be possible to have a "save/load" system for just mod settings (in the mod settings menu)? I.e. you go to options->mods and then you can "save" all current settings similar to how you save a map. Then when you press load the game loops through the saved list and for each setting:
  1. if the setting from the loaded file also exists in the currently loaded environment -> set current value to value from saved list
  2. if there's currently no setting with the same name -> skip to next
  3. if a current setting has no saved value in the saved list -> reset to default (more deterministic than just keeping the current value)
That way it's a change to the GUI only and not to any of the underlying systems of mod handling of the game. Bonus points if there's a warning if the current mod set is different from the mod set that was active when the setting were changed.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”