Order station selection list by pathfinder distance

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Order station selection list by pathfinder distance

Post by quyxkh »

When adding a station to a train's schedule you get an alphabetized list of every station name in the game. I think it'd be useful and more convenient if that list were sorted by pathfinder distance from the train (for new trains/empty schedules) or if a station is selected then one of its stops (preferably the one the train's at). There's some arbitrary choices involved in there, the idea is just to get the obvious consequence that the first offered station for a train you just built would be the station you built it at, the next one would be the next station down the line, and so forth. Unreachable stations could be at the end in yellow, also valuable data if you think you are (or aren't) building disconnected train lines...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Order station selection list by pathfinder distance

Post by Koub »

The thing is that pathfinding may vary, if I'm not mistaken, depending on the traffic on the rails.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

though route might change I don't think distance does in that situation Koub, a train parked on a critical link another train has to path round that link to get to it's 'closest' station might go past other stations with the same name on the long way there.

In principle though it seems reasonable, closest stations first but then there's other problems like loops in the train network and multiple stations with the same name and well frankly I put everything in a reasonable order, naming things input/output, pick up/request something along those lines and then what's being transported so I want to send to the other side of the map from red circuit production to blue circuits and now I have to look through every single station because they're not in alphabetical order and I don't know whether it's closer or further than other stations.

If you make a train at a station (ie it's snapped to that station) maybe default add that station to the list that train goes to, but I don't think ordering by distance helps for anything esle

wpirobotbuilder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wpirobotbuilder »

I'd like to see the list of available stations cut down to just the ones the locomotive can actually pathfind to.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”