Requster Chest, cant set both options

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Requster Chest, cant set both options

Post by Tami »

I have a requester chest that is connected to circuit set filter depending of missing steel plates. It request iron plates for smelting.
Also i have connected a stack inserter with circuit to chest and limit the stacksize to 10 (for one or two cycles), the issue is, i cant read the content of the requster chest AND set filter of requester chest.

Same goes with roboport. I cant read content of network AND set bot readers for roboports.
For belts it works fine, you can set reads and set condition.
Also stations work fine, only requester chest and roboport has these issues.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Requster Chest, cant set both options

Post by eradicator »

With roboports you can actually do it if you have more than one roboport in the same network.
For requester chests this would result in the chest setting it's own filters.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

With the chest it is correct that it will set it's own filters. You would maybe work around it but it would very fiddly.
I could read separately into the red or green wires but that's a new mechanism that is never used elsewhere so I avoided it.

As for the roboport I guess it makes sense that you can read both. If I remember correctly it was probably done as an optimization but i'll look into it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Twinsen wrote: I could read separately into the red or green wires but that's a new mechanism that is never used elsewhere so I avoided it.
As has been suggested before tho (and i personally feel the same) i would really like if that feature was introduced somewhere down the line. Ofc it would have to be global for all circuit entities. Maybe with a checkbox "merge circuit wire input" enabled by default. No clue how bad that would be on performance though. And custom behavior for just one entity would probably need getting used to.

As for the roboport maybe checkboxes instead of radial buttons would be ok? So the player can chose if he wants "only content", "only robot statistics" or "both" (or none :P), in which case it should be okaish performancewise?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

You can also opt into replacing checkbox for features like this with a horizontal radio set with options ( none - red - green - both) or just 2 checkboxes for colors

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Moved to Ideas and Suggestions.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

+1 I could'Ve used this a few time for builds myself, but the new logistic chest type might solve the issue.
Until we then you can use Inventory Sensor to read chest inventories.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

eradicator wrote:With roboports you can actually do it if you have more than one roboport in the same network.
For requester chests this would result in the chest setting it's own filters.
How about filter inserters? Can they set filter and read hand contents or are they the same?

And how about train stations? They can read train content and send signal to train. Does that mean the train gets send it's own content?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”