CTRL + Scroll Wheel to choose crafting amount

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SoulFrost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

CTRL + Scroll Wheel to choose crafting amount

Post by SoulFrost »

Hi All & Devs,

Sometimes I want to craft 6 items instead of five, or 3 instead of one. Whilst I can left click to manually reach that amount, I do enjoy all the 'types' of pre-requisite resources being grouped together.

It would be super useful if in the crafting menu, we could hover over an item to craft and hold CTRL + Scroll on the mouse wheel to choose the amount to be crafted.

If this idea was to be implemented, I think a little preview box should appear to the top right of the cursor to give an indication of the amount to be crafted. My skills in paint not so good, here is my example:

Additionally I think there should be a cancel option, say using Q to cancel the scroll craft, just in case it was done accidentally, especially for the achievement crafter's.

Edit - Just thought of another addition to this, CTRL + Scroll wheel on chest to insert full stacks at once. Making it great to insert and possibly withdraw stacks, could be forward on the scroll wheel to insert and back to withdraw?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: CTRL + Scroll Wheel to choose crafting amount

Post by Jap2.0 »

I say that most of this you can do fairly easy already - you can craft 1, 5, or max at a time (100 in creative), and you can shift-clicking and ctrl-clicking and stuff make it faily easy to move lots of items at once, fairly easily. Personally I think the the devs have a good balance of powerful and simple conntrols and UI - of course, some things could change in 0.17 with the GUI update, but I doubt much will happen with controls.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

What I miss most is actually a feature to be able to input a number with the keyboard.

For example, I would like to be able to simply enter the number 200 instead of having to make 40 right-clicks.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Tekky wrote:What I miss most is actually a feature to be able to input a number with the keyboard.

For example, I would like to be able to simply enter the number 200 instead of having to make 40 right-clicks.
That is a good point, however I'd say that in many situations it could be be done by ctrl-clicking or shift-clicking (I forgot which one crafts as many as possible, it's just instinct by now :)), or should be automated. But yes, that is a situation where it would be useful.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Please also keep in mind that by default, the game's goal is to make you automate. That's why the devs favor whatever makes automating more pleasing, but won't do whatever it takes to make handcrafting a breese.
It should only be OK enough not to overburden you on your path to automation.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

I like the idea, but I must agree with Koub on this one.
If manual crafting is too easy, why bother to start automation?
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Koub wrote:Please also keep in mind that by default, the game's goal is to make you automate. That's why the devs favor whatever makes automating more pleasing, but won't do whatever it takes to make handcrafting a breese.
It should only be OK enough not to overburden you on your path to automation.
Yes - I should have stressed the automation part a bit more. If you need that much, automate it.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I agree that the player should be encouraged to automate instead of making hand-crafting too easy.

However, hand-crafting should have some well-designed disadvantages that discourages the use of hand-crafting. Hand-crafting should not be discouraged by simply having a bad interface, for example by not allowing you to set the crafting amounts easily or by not allowing you to insert important items to the start of the crafting queue.

RychschaX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Middle-click in crafting menu to specify amount

Post by RychschaX »

TL;DR:

let the player type in an amount to craft when clicking an item in the crafting menu with the middle mouse button.
What?:
The middle mouse button currently does nothing in the crafting menu, so let's have it make a text box pop up where the player can type in an exact amount of an item to craft.
Why?:
Quality of life for the player, mostly. I know it wouldn't effect overall crafting time, but it would but it would still be a nice feature to have.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Middle-click in crafting menu to specify amount

Post by Tekky »

I agree that it should be possible to specify an exact number of items both in the crafting menu and when splitting stacks.

The latter issue has been discussed in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57830 Block inventory split

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Different suggested controls but still the same idea: 54018
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I feel pretty sure that, in a game about automation, anything that makes hand-crafting more convenient is unlikely to happen.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

merged

And yes, I give this a low chance for implementation.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

i dont like this because i think like koub ... but if it gets added dont add another key to press why i cant just mouse wheel a number up and click for accept?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”