Belt Speed customisation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DarkOmen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Belt Speed customisation

Post by DarkOmen »

TL;DR
Variable Speed customisation between 2 circuit connected points on a single belt
What ?
Although 3 belts worth of speed is enough what I'm asking for is to connect a belt to the circuit network and be able to customise the speed the belt is moving at between connected sections

Why ?
to better optimise throughput and workflow of certain actions and allow for variable belt speeds between yellow and blue or even potentially stop a belts movement when no items are present increasing overall UPS with large belt driven factories.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Belt Speed customisation

Post by Jap2.0 »

You can turn belts off. Do you have any practical examples where a variable speed would be useful and not just a pain to implement?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

With 0.16, there will be significant performance optimizations with belts, so this will be less of an issue.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Is there any statistical evidence about how much the current speed of a belt (yellow vs red vs blue) affects game performance? I kind of doubt that the speed as such is a major performance drain.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I can see this being useful to moderate/slow certain places in belt factories to say deliver precise ratios just by using belt speed but I fear that the UPS effect of something like this would be a drop because more checking is going on to set the speed than is saved by not moving the belt when lines are full. Right now (as far as I am aware) if a belt is backed up and not interacted with it has 0 effect on UPS vs same belt not existing

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

eradicator wrote:Is there any statistical evidence about how much the current speed of a belt (yellow vs red vs blue) affects game performance? I kind of doubt that the speed as such is a major performance drain.
the way it sounded to me, the belts would be extremely optimized (50-100x) in areas with few to no gaps.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-176

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”