Make autodrop to toolbelt optional

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tybalt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Make autodrop to toolbelt optional

Post by Tybalt »

I don't like the behaviour of some items to add themselves to the toolbelt.

I find myself regularly clearing the toolbelt from stuff I didn't put there. In particular, after bots are available, I never want to have rails, turrets and repair packs in the tool belt any more. Other such items include trains, signals, chests and many more.

The quick and easy fix would be to make that feature optional (in "other settings").

A smarter solution would be to (maybe optionally) add a new restriction: When receiving an item which would normally automagically appear in the belt, but some of it is already in the inventory, the item goes to the inventory instead of the belt.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make autodrop to toolbelt optional

Post by Zavian »

They are working on a gui update. Last I heard it will probably be in 0.17.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-191

Tybalt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tybalt »

Zavian wrote:They are working on a gui update. Last I heard it will probably be in 0.17.
Well, ok, but making this feature optional is pretty minimalistic, something which could easily be added in a fixes update. Even the smarter solution I proposed shouldn't be that difficult. 0.17 can be years away.

I'm wondering whether there's anybody who really likes this feature the way it is.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Most people probably just set filters (middle mouse click on a toolbelt slot) on all of their slots and never bother with it again. You could also write a mod that removes all the "goes-to-quickbar" flags from all items. So nothing ever goes to your quickbar automatically again. Making it dynamic is more difficult.

Also the quickbar won't be able to hold any items at all anymore once that feature is implemented (Can't find the appropriate FFF but it's pretty much what this post describes.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

Tybalt wrote: A smarter solution would be to (maybe optionally) add a new restriction: When receiving an item which would normally automagically appear in the belt, but some of it is already in the inventory, the item goes to the inventory instead of the belt.
hi, just to quote tybalt, i would like to request if there is a way to do not just what they mentioned above, but to also make an item actually always "appear" in the belt, "if" we already have that item on the belt...

for example, if i go to a Stone Furnace
and it has 1 iron plate in the output slot
and i dont have any iron plates in my inventory
but i do have a few in my toolbelt,
it will go into my main inventory instead of the toolbelt with the other iron plates, taking up 2 slots (when i shift+left click on it, which is the key i configured if inventory screen is open) and same thing happens if i control click with the inventory screen closed.

another example is where i request a Logistic Robot to bring me something, it always puts it in my toolbelt instead of my main inventory where i already have things, and i end up using 2 slots instead of 1 (even if it would have fit within the stack limit) :) pesky logistics robot (i should put that on the broken Logistic Robots joke thread) :D
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”