Survival, new mobs and functions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SlondoTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Survival, new mobs and functions

Post by SlondoTK »

TL;DR
Some ideas to add in the game, something more oriented towards survival

What ?
1) Introduce an indicator of hunger, thirst and life
Why?
-With a indicator of hunger, the character would need to eat something, I see the fish very useless in the game.
Then with the indicator of hunger full, life would gradually regenerate, progressively
-With the thirst indicator, the character runs more fast, for more thirst slower the locomotion becomes!
-The indicator of life is very inconspicuous when it comes to a new player, he does not know if he is immortal ...
The correct thing would be to add a life indicator, next to the other indicators, if hunger is full, life regenerates

2) Possibility of run more faster!
Why?
-Suppose the thirst indicator is full, if the player press a button (shift of example), he can run even faster, even if he is using an exoskeleton.
(obs: I have a question since when I first saw the game .. Is the character a human or an automaton?)
Whatever, the character could walk but slow depending on the quantity of items that have in the inventory! :o

3) News Mobs!
OH My God!
After this giant text, how about putting new mobs? pacific or not, to enrich the map, bringing new items, it would be incredible to kill an alien and eat his flesh to replenish his hunger, or do some clothing to protect himself from the cold night, using a wool ... are purely survival ideas.
Why ?
Factorio is a game that has a lot of potential, but new players always get lost, however simple the game is, I believe that if you put elements of survival, the game would be more interesting and fun to play.
Believe, a lot of people stop playing or they do not buy the game because they simply do not feel like playing, do not feel the intuition to get into that "dynamic", let the game a little more familiar and it will be incredible.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Survival, new mobs and functions

Post by Jap2.0 »

1. viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14638
2. It is of some debate weather the protagonist is entirely human or not.
3. viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14640 & viewtopic.php?f=80&t=139
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

TL;DR: I oppose this suggestions. (Survival should be kept in mods and not base game.)

Reasoning:
Factorio is a (puzzle) game about automation. Adding annoying manual "bar management" gameplay elements does not fit in with that main concpet. Not every game needs to be about survival (even if this is $teh_hot_shiz right now). And adding survival elements certainly would not make the game easier to newcomers. Rather they would make it more difficult because obviously survival is always hardest at the beginning when you don't (yet) have automatic food/drink production.

--------------------
SlondoTK wrote:After this giant text
Giant text? Where? What did i miss? :P
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

SlondoTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SlondoTK »

SlondoTK wrote:After this giant text
Giant text? Where? What did i miss? :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: Do you like to read then? okay ;)

Obs: Running faster would be a good thing., at the beginning of the game everything is very slow and manual this would change the speed very much to automate the first productions.

Make sure the character has stamina and the stamina decreases as the character runs faster ...
then restore stamina in later :)

RenScorch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RenScorch »

Personally I would love to see a weather system that allows for different bonus an negetives to happen based on the biome you are in, like for example, in the desert. The chance of sandstorms could happen which greatly decrease visibility, but say certain bonus like you have a bonus to heating to boilers, an so forth.

n7m6e7
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by n7m6e7 »

Factorio simply isn't a survival game, but a game about the logistics of mass production, base building, and defense.

I will say new mobs are a great idea. I do get tired of just tiered biters and tiered spitters... Especially worms which just look small, medium and large, at least large biters are a different color.
There are no absolutes. I live knowing I could always be wrong, but with confidence that I could also be right.

SlondoTK
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SlondoTK »

n7m6e7 wrote:I will say new mobs are a great idea. I do get tired of just tiered biters and tiered spitters... Especially worms which just look small, medium and large, at least large biters are a different color.
They may even have different colors, but the attack is always the same.. This makes the game very repetitive largely!
It's not for nothing, no one else likes games that remain in repetition for a long time, An excellent example is the No Man's Sky franchise, the developers promised a universe generated procedurally and at the end, they delivered all very repetitive things.

I understand that adding new mobs is a complicated task and requires a lot of dedication, the team may not be very big, I know how this works..
but it would be great to see new things not related to survival, but to the world of game, the planet to which we are confined.
something like missions, the radars are in the game just to explore the map ... I see another possibility of use for them.
For example, in some situations, the radar will capture the signal from your rocket that struck and, over time, have discovered where that rocket is, giving the player the ability to go and pick up their most up-to-date items ;)

RenScorch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RenScorch »

eradicator wrote:
Reasoning:
Factorio is a (puzzle) game about automation.
It neither a survival nor a puzzle game. It a strategy game where the enemy is the environment, an for a strategy game to be successful, you require a way to constantly challenge the player.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

nor a puzzle game
Factorio is one giant logistics puzzle. :roll:

RenScorch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RenScorch »

bobucles wrote:
nor a puzzle game
Factorio is one giant logistics puzzle. :roll:
I mean, if you really want to relate this game to a puzzle game, then by all means go ahead. However this game has more in common with starcraft than any puzzle game I've seen. Ontop of that, right on the front page declares that they are attempting to look into ways to adding RTS elements into the game. (Making the drones /work for you./) So more modern puzzle games you will want to go with games like "Opus Magnum." If puzzle games are really your thing.

However I will stand by the firm stance that this is not a puzzle game, but more of a management game with combat elements, an resource management elements mixed into the mix bag. Infact, the top 20 rated tags for factorio on Steam page supports my stance on the matter. Infact, you can't even see "Puzzle game." In the tags.
slightly large img
Of course, you are free to convince me otherwise, but from where I stand from, 22 thousand something people(Number taken from steam's page) disagree with your current stance on the matter. ;) The reason why it important to make sure the genre is correct is because it effects the direction of the features that are, an are not healthy for the game.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”