Changing the Default Tank Controls

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ItsDarthChaos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Changing the Default Tank Controls

Post by ItsDarthChaos »

So Combat optimization... am I the only one who things that the tank controls are far too spread out by default? I mean... Not only are you using normal WASD for movement... but you also have to hold Space to shoot, TAB to switch weapons, AND keep your mouse hovered over your target. All while trying to strafe around a biter base with a horde of the little buggers trying to chase you down. Maybe it's just because it's a lot of enemies to have to process for me, but I feel like that's entirely way too many things to have to keep straight,

I for one would love if military vehicles just defaulted to using left mouse for firing. You don't have to fumble for the space bar while also trying to maneuver, and it lets your hand stay in WASD where it can easily Tab when you need it. Not to mention having the fire and aim controlled by the same hand would just naturally improve accuracy.

.... I suddenly realize aim describing almost exactly how the Robocraft controls work. Lmao. Anyway. Go ahead and feel free to tell me that "blah blah blah... you're not a creative person and everyone else has already pointed this out. Yadda yadda blah blah."

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Changing the Default Tank Controls

Post by eradicator »

Bla, bla, low skill n00b, bla, $elitist_core_gamer_talk, yadda, yadda.

The problem with using mouse buttons would be that it would prevent you from performing normal construct/mine operations while in a vehicle. How are you positioning your fingers though? I've never had problems having ring/middle/index fingers on wasd while keeping my thumb on space (this is how every FPS game out there works and i've played a lot of them :P). Tab for weapon changing is a big out of the way, i can relate to that. Which is why i've bound it to Q instead (not optimal, but gets the job done most of the time). Besides space is also used outside of vehicles for shooting so control-consistency is something to be considered too.

Maybe you want to try to write a mod that demonstrates your kind of control :P?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Why not bind shoot to mouse button 3/4/5 which are commonly on most mice now (scroll click/back/forward)

Personally I bind my picker tool (eyedropper) to mouse button 3 (middle/scroll click) cause it's a tonne more intuitive to pick and place with one hand but you could easily use it as your trigger

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Just change the keybindings. That should work (although there might be some problems with interference and stuff when you're using the mouse buttons, I don't know).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”