Manual trains, predictions?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Manual trains, predictions?

Post by JohnyDL »

TL;DR
Lock blocks where a manual train couldn't stop before entering like with automatic trains

What ?
Automatic trains block paths temporarily that they're planning to travel rather this isn't possible with manual trains as they don't have a predetermined route, so why not just block all routes that the train could take within stopping distance
Why ?
the benefit to the train AI is that if the user makes erratic choices they're planned for and the auto trains won't plow into blocks at full speed that the manual train might make or want to make. The user still has to be aware of automatic trains but they act in a more predictable manner (ie acting like the manual train is a runaway train and getting out of it's way or at least not getting in it's way if possible) this would lead to junctions being cleared by automatic trains that a player might want to use too and generally fewer accidents.

I realise this is solvable simply by more careful driving but I think it would add a lot to manual trains.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Manual trains, predictions?

Post by Tekky »

Related threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42694 Half automatic / half manual train driving
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49850 Locomotive mode: Manual with assist

Hana12
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hana12 »

Tekky thank you for sharing this topic about Half Automatic

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Half manual is in FFF212 and that's not this idea, I'm driving my train and not telling the train where to go by clicking on the map.

Nor is it Manual assist, I can still rear end another train or enter blocks with trains in.

This is not a 'training wheels' for bad train drivers, if you make a mistake or don't look this won't save you, the idea is not to affect how the user uses trains at all, no slowing, no blocking entry etc. This is just allowing the automatic trains to see the blocks the player train has potential to interact with in the same way as blocks are reserved for braking distance by automatic trains.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

this could be handy in some situations, but most of the time i add passenger stops at locations and use auto.
sit back and enjoy my beverage.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Individually addressed Passenger stops really aren't feasible on some sizes of network. Personally I haven't had any crashes in a while but I see other people having them and I thought this small tweak would help them

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I agree with the suggestion that the game should reserve all blocks that the player could take that are within braking distance. However, I would be in favor of going a bit further by making the game reserve all blocks that are within braking distance plus two seconds of travel time. That way, the player will have two seconds to react if a signal suddenly turns red.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I could go with the extra time being a tweakable thing per save or player some people might want extra time others might not want or need it (as for crashes I just destroyed a train of rocket fuel by rear ending it and driving at full speed through it in a parking lot full parking lot, and this idea wouldn't have saved me one iota cause I was driving too fast. I am going to change something on my parking lots from now on the last slot will have a closed signal allowing always for manual drive through)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”