Multiple Player Vehicles

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Multiple Player Vehicles

Post by Impatient »

TL;DR
Make a vehicle usable by multiple players at the same time (eg driver and gunner).

What ?
It would be cool if vehicles can be operated by several players at the same time. Functions could be managed via "player roles". I can imagine the car to offer two roles: driver and gunner. The tank maybe can offer even more roles: driver, gunner, cannon operator, flamethrower operator.
The ability to steer, accelerate and decelerate would be attached to the driver role. The ability to operate the machine gun would be attached to the gunner role. etc ...

Important to multiple player vehicles are the following things:
1. Role management while on the vehicle
2. A indicator for which player fills which role(s).

ad 1. Role management while on the vehicle.
A player who is on a vehicle can cycle through the roles by pressing a cycle key, which is active while on a vehicle.

For the selection of roles I picture a very nice and intuitive system, where a player, entering a vehicle, locks into primary and secondary roles. Primary roles can not be taken by other players afterwards. Secondary roles can be taken by other players, if they select them as their primary role ore one of their primary roles. All roles not locked by a player remain open to be handled by all players on the vehicle jointly (which, I admit, can cause confusion) or not at all.
Example A
I believe you get the idea.
Example B
ad 2. An indicator, which player fills which role(s). This could be done via a list in one of the screen corners which is displayed once in a vehicle. Stating something like (for the example of a tank with four roles)

(D) p Player2
(MG) p Player3
(C) p Player1
(F) s Player2

Primary and secondary roles can be indicated via nuances of a players color and additionally by a "p" and a "s", just in case some players colors are the same or close.

Even more ideas ...
There is a lot more to roles on a vehicle when starting to brainstorm about it.
The simple passenger role
The able passenger role
Mutually exclusive roles
These are all wild first thoughts on the possibilities. If this feature will be considered to be implemented, I hope it to be given thorough thoughts on the moddability. It would open so many possibilities with, I believe, little effort. Should I write an additional mod api feature request as a complement to this feature request?
Why ?
Multiple player vehicles, in whichever game they were implemented, always added a lot of fun to multiplayer gaming. Also they added a nice bit of a feeling of team effort when jointly operating a vehicle.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”