Circuit singling and trains

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Circuit singling and trains

Post by JohnyDL »

TL;DR
Trains could have a circuit network signal as well as read contents
What ?
My suggestion is that you can give trains a signal slot for say Iron or Copper or anything else and the Station can read train contents or send signals to the train as is now but a check box to read the train's single circuit signal.
Why ?
Sometimes it would be nice to be able to identify the type of train going into a station, for example my station might be able to load both Copper and Iron but I want to identify if a copper or iron train is in the station, one way is to set all the inventory slots in all the wagons to iron or copper and use filter inserters and then only what can load will load. Or to read the train's number and decode each train, or to add a wagon to the train and send that to the network with items generating the circuit conditions. But all of these are large complicated solutions that require manipulation every time you add a train or change a train type.

This one circuit condition slot would save a huge amount of hassle of mixed ore stations and allow for better control of trains and stations in general, I could set up one building train station and have it load and unload specific items depending on whether the building train is set to say, solar mode, or furnace mode, or laser/wall mode, or assembler mode

For ore loading stations/trains it could allow for setting of filter inserters direct from the train. but for more complicated multifunctional trains loading and unloading filter inserters could be used in tandem with a decoder array of combinators to set what is loaded into the train.

The idea doesn't do away with all complexity but adds new ways to think about and expand the whole train network.

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Circuit singling and trains

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

+1
(I had a similar suggestion a few months ago. :) )
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50712

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Only a month ago gah I used to read every post in ideas and suggestions I take one (long) break and come back with an idea and it's been done Koub? Ssilk? Merge please I really want this even if it's not an alt view thing it'd be super super useful 1 building train -> multiple setups would be great amongst other bonuses

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I believe my favorite suggestion for this problem is the following:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46969 Constant Combinator for Locomotive

However, all of these suggestions are similar.

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

Yeah, all these suggestions seem to have a theme: they find the "unique id" inadequate, and would like to set arbitrary signals on trains. There were suggestions that it could help make it easier to identify trains, in the world, the map, and the ui. I think it would be a great quality of life addition, and would make a lot of train setups much simpler.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Tekky wrote:I believe my favorite suggestion for this problem is the following:

I also do prefer constant combinator solution. This could serve multiple purposes
- Identifying trains in circuits (this would effectively replace TrainID feature)
- Making a visual icon on trains (both Alt mode and map)
- Assigning trains specific tasks based on combinator settings

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

PacifyerGrey wrote:
Tekky wrote:I believe my favorite suggestion for this problem is the following:

I also do prefer constant combinator solution. This could serve multiple purposes
- Identifying trains in circuits (this would effectively replace TrainID feature)
- Making a visual icon on trains (both Alt mode and map)
- Assigning trains specific tasks based on combinator settings
Don't get me wrong those things would be useful like logistics trains are useful, but having 16 possible signals in the train ruins some of the fun messy aspects of things that makes factorio great, 16 items is enough to just set what you want in the train and given trains can be modified from anywhere on the map that's kind of powerful you don't really need to go to a station if it's set up to read from the train combinator to requestor chests and will fill up the train perfectly. The limit of one item per train means there's still some lovely interesting circuit network things that have to be done at each station, and they have to be done at each station and can't be done from just anywhere, but you get a better ability to program each station in a useful manner.

The Alt mode is personal preference, but I don't really see it as useful myself but if it was added I'd get used to it, at the moment train Wagons show all/more than enough Alt mode to make sense of things without needing the extra engine spaces, at least when the trains have cargo.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the last one though, I'm imagining using those combinators to tweak the stations visited in the route plan which again seems super powerful in some ways, not OP like the 16 possible slots but certainly very powerful.

AntiBlueQuirk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by AntiBlueQuirk »

JohnyDL wrote:...having 16 possible signals in the train ruins some of the fun...
Personally, I never imagined having more than one settable signal available. That by itself would be very useful, and would be more than enough for my needs.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

AntiBlueQuirk wrote:
JohnyDL wrote:...having 16 possible signals in the train ruins some of the fun...
Personally, I never imagined having more than one settable signal available. That by itself would be very useful, and would be more than enough for my needs.
Totally agree with that :D

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

On the other hand... 16 signals, preferably with an option to update them from a station, preferably with a conditions for station skipping in the train schedule...

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Lav wrote:On the other hand... 16 signals, preferably with an option to update them from a station, preferably with a conditions for station skipping in the train schedule...
Wow that seems way way overpowered....

That said if you get 1 signal per engine, 16 engines = 16 signals that I wouldn't have too much of a problem with,

As for setting them from the station ... I'm not sure whether I like that... maybe you can set the one on the front train and for skipping stations "Or Circuit Condition = X" and internal circuit condition is X no need to go to the station to get the signal it can be skipped. That kind of works for me

...but it goes beyond the scope of what I'm asking for and beyond what I think I could persuade the devs to add to the game, one signal per train is possibly considered an easy sell, 16 per train AND setable from stations AND allowing them to change the train schedule. I'm betting they'd sooner add the Logistics train mod and be done with it.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”