25 General Quality Suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

NamelessMurder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

25 General Quality Suggestions

Post by NamelessMurder »

1. Conveyor Belt Blockade; for conveyor belts that's craftable that you can put at the end of a conveyor built that acts has a block, so items don't spill onto other conveyor belts when rotating the belt isn't an option.

2. Pollution Graph; to increase the effectiveness of when you want to diagnose pollution problems.

3. Improved World Generator; currently the highest resource setting is only twice that of the normal one. There are alot of things that have very strict limits on what it can be.

4. Edit the amount of pollution required for a biter assault; the name explains it.

5. Trash slot in inventory; would help if your inventory is always full.

6. Train speed upgrade; to add incentive to use trains instead of belts for long distance transport.

7. Armed Train; guards trains againts biter infested areas, should be programmable to only shoot if the train is stopped.

8. Improved Nuke Sprites; the current atom bomb doesn't have a mushroom cloud, special sound effects, or anything, so they just feel like glorified explosives.

9. Circuit Tutorial; the name, again

10. Better Pickaxes; steel is early game, so something faster and more advanced would be nice.

11. Robotic Arm Extensions; modular armor mod, increases placement and destruction range.

12. New Oil Processing; something besides the 3 existing ones.

13. Heat Exchanger Sprites; already made a thread about this earlier, looks like a boiler with heat pipes.

14. New Power Sources; wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, or algae.

15. Counterbalances; If these new power sources are to be created, everyone will just stick to one, so adding them will be a hassle because the developers would have to make reasons to not just stick to one forever.

16. Compressors; compresses conveyor belts.

17. Cheaper steel; steel should be reduced to 3 iron per steel, as the current rate is too high.

18. Splitter inserter; should be able to put the item on either side, and should be able to allow it to insert only on one side if the player chooses so.

19. Better GUI; I get this game is quite new, but the interface is just gray. It looks old and unappetizing compared to other sprites in Factorio.

20. 2 Player Vehicles; for pvp-team multiplayer.

21. Improved pvp-team multiplayed; add something, because pvp feels like normal factorio againts humans.

22. Better rocket launch animation; the current one looks fantastic, and I get this is supposed to be a very optimized game, but I think the rocket launch animation, being the thing that is at the zenith of what your factory should've had accomplished to that point, it should have alot more fire, breaking objects, explosions, sound FX, etc.

23. Large Accumulators; for more compact solar arrays.

24. Blue wire; a third circuit wire.

25. Turret conveyor belts; able to be placed on walls. Should let the turret move along the path you've built.

Also, I know this is 26, but please make birds.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 25 General Quality Suggestions

Post by Koub »

Hi,
You forgot suggestion number 0 : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3394 :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

First: Please don't just post a bunch of stuff in a big list. If you post them one at a time you can see which ones have more support, do your research to see if it has been suggested or planned, and fill in the idea a bit more.
NamelessMurder wrote:1. Conveyor Belt Blockade; for conveyor belts that's craftable that you can put at the end of a conveyor built that acts has a block, so items don't spill onto other conveyor belts when rotating the belt isn't an option.
Give me one example of a situation you would need this.
NamelessMurder wrote:2. Pollution Graph; to increase the effectiveness of when you want to diagnose pollution problems.
Unclear. Do you want to know what makes the most pollution? If so, you can look at mining outposts to see how much they make, or you could use efficinency modules everywhere, or just exterminate all the biters. As a general rule, a large amount of your pollution comes from power generation, followed by electric mining drills and assemblers.
NamelessMurder wrote:3. Improved World Generator; currently the highest resource setting is only twice that of the normal one. There are alot of things that have very strict limits on what it can be.
Planned for 0.16 (source, source,
source.)
NamelessMurder wrote:4. Edit the amount of pollution required for a biter assault; the name explains it.
Use mods effecting aliens or you can change how much pollution is produced in the advanced worldgen settings.
NamelessMurder wrote:5. Trash slot in inventory; would help if your inventory is always full.
Very unclear.
NamelessMurder wrote:6. Train speed upgrade; to add incentive to use trains instead of belts for long distance transport.
Different types of fuel increase train speed; coal and wood are lowest, then solid fuel, then rocket fuel. Braking distance research also increases the time trains can stay at top speed.
NamelessMurder wrote:7. Armed Train; guards trains againts biter infested areas, should be programmable to only shoot if the train is stopped.
Artillery train planned for 0.16 (source, source.)
NamelessMurder wrote:8. Improved Nuke Sprites; the current atom bomb doesn't have a mushroom cloud, special sound effects, or anything, so they just feel like glorified explosives.
Maybe sometime. The art department is fairly busy at the moment.
NamelessMurder wrote:9. Circuit Tutorial; the name, again
More in-game mini-tutorials are planned (source), also, you forgot a period :).
NamelessMurder wrote:10. Better Pickaxes; steel is early game, so something faster and more advanced would be nice.
Use bots. Manual stuff is for the early game.
NamelessMurder wrote:11. Robotic Arm Extensions; modular armor mod, increases placement and destruction range.
Use mods, or use blueprints and bots over the map.
NamelessMurder wrote:12. New Oil Processing; something besides the 3 existing ones.
You already have basic, advanced, and coal liquification, along with cracking.
NamelessMurder wrote:13. Heat Exchanger Sprites; already made a thread about this earlier, looks like a boiler with heat pipes.
We'll see. Again, the graphics department is very busy right now.
NamelessMurder wrote:14. New Power Sources; wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, or algae.
Why? How? Water doesn't move, and adding the other stuff would be unneeded complexity.
NamelessMurder wrote:15. Counterbalances; If these new power sources are to be created, everyone will just stick to one, so adding them will be a hassle because the developers would have to make reasons to not just stick to one forever.
You're saying that they have to change the game to make it so people will use the stuff they add?
NamelessMurder wrote:16. Compressors; compresses conveyor belts.
If your belts aren't compressed, you need more production.
NamelessMurder wrote:17. Cheaper steel; steel should be reduced to 3 iron per steel, as the current rate is too high.
That would go in the balancing subforum.
NamelessMurder wrote:18. Splitter inserter; should be able to put the item on either side, and should be able to allow it to insert only on one side if the player chooses so.
Bob's inserters. Also perhaps a bit complex for new players.
NamelessMurder wrote:19. Better GUI; I get this game is quite new, but the interface is just gray. It looks old and unappetizing compared to other sprites in Factorio.
Planned for 0.16 (source, source.)
NamelessMurder wrote:20. 2 Player Vehicles; for pvp-team multiplayer.
That would have a very narrow use. You can build two cars or tanks, and if you have a train players can ride in wagons and cargo wagons, so as long as you don't have a single engine, you're good.
NamelessMurder wrote:21. Improved pvp-team multiplayed; add something, because pvp feels like normal factorio againts humans.
Maybe. Not the main focus of the game.
NamelessMurder wrote:22. Better rocket launch animation; the current one looks fantastic, and I get this is supposed to be a very optimized game, but I think the rocket launch animation, being the thing that is at the zenith of what your factory should've had accomplished to that point, it should have alot more fire, breaking objects, explosions, sound FX, etc.
So... you're saying that stuff should be breaking when you're "at the zenith of what your factory should've had accomplished to that point"?
NamelessMurder wrote:23. Large Accumulators; for more compact solar arrays.
Mods or just use bots to build a lot.
NamelessMurder wrote:24. Blue wire; a third circuit wire.
Maybe. I'm fairly certain mods add this. It would require all power poles to have 4 spots for wires, though.
NamelessMurder wrote:25. Turret conveyor belts; able to be placed on walls. Should let the turret move along the path you've built.
Useless late-game, and would make the game a bit easier.
NamelessMurder wrote:Also, I know this is 26, but please make birds.
Maybe. They would have very little real purpose though.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Jap2.0 wrote:First: Please don't just post a bunch of stuff in a big list. If you post them one at a time you can see which ones have more support, do your research to see if it has been suggested or planned, and fill in the idea a bit more.
NamelessMurder wrote:1. Conveyor Belt Blockade; for conveyor belts that's craftable that you can put at the end of a conveyor built that acts has a block, so items don't spill onto other conveyor belts when rotating the belt isn't an option.
Give me one example of a situation you would need this.
Give me an example of a place where half an underground couldn't do this job even if it has to be the wrong colour
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:2. Pollution Graph; to increase the effectiveness of when you want to diagnose pollution problems.
Unclear. Do you want to know what makes the most pollution? If so, you can look at mining outposts to see how much they make, or you could use efficinency modules everywhere, or just exterminate all the biters. As a general rule, a large amount of your pollution comes from power generation, followed by electric mining drills and assemblers.
There already is a pollution graph of sorts in map mode, the more red a square is the more solution that square is making.
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:3. Improved World Generator; currently the highest resource setting is only twice that of the normal one. There are alot of things that have very strict limits on what it can be.
Planned for 0.16 (source, source,
source.)
Even if that wasn't the case the amount of ore gen isn't twice as big on max settings as normal it's actually at minimum eight times, it doubles width, height and density, practical experience tells me though ore patches around 10-20k are normal in the starting area but can be as high as 200M with XL patches and XL densities
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:4. Edit the amount of pollution required for a biter assault; the name explains it.
Use mods effecting aliens or you can change how much pollution is produced in the advanced worldgen settings.
Yup you can tweak the evolution settings and the pollution settings and how actively biters spread it's kind of awesome how detailed the Devs have been in customisation
NamelessMurder wrote:5. Trash slot in inventory; would help if your inventory is always full.
There is already Auto Trash but if you want there to be an inventory space that is where overflow goes when your inventory is full, I don't think one extra slot will help you, you need better inventory management and more logistics bots
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:6. Train speed upgrade; to add incentive to use trains instead of belts for long distance transport.
Different types of fuel increase train speed; coal and wood are lowest, then solid fuel, then rocket fuel. Braking distance research also increases the time trains can stay at top speed.
yup and it's not like trains aren't already better by a huge margin than belts in about ten ways, infrastructure cost being the most obvious a single blue belt going 1000 tiles is more expensive than like 40 trains and only gives a 90ish per second transfer rate, your average train can transport 160 stacks of items that distance in under a minute.
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:7. Armed Train; guards trains againts biter infested areas, should be programmable to only shoot if the train is stopped.
Artillery train planned for 0.16 (source, source.)
That is going to be awesome
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:8. Improved Nuke Sprites; the current atom bomb doesn't have a mushroom cloud, special sound effects, or anything, so they just feel like glorified explosives.
Maybe sometime. The art department is fairly busy at the moment.
Yup I'm loving all the new HD textures I bet explosions are on the list but I don't think anything in weaponry has been done yet, they'll get there, but mushroom clouds? I don't think that's necessary a white flash across the screen which saturates the brightness and fades back to normal over 0.5-1 second would be cool though along with the grenade like explosions
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:9. Circuit Tutorial; the name, again
More in-game mini-tutorials are planned (source), also, you forgot a period :).
Yup the tips and tricks are going to be awesome, in the meanwhile ask on the forums for help
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:10. Better Pickaxes; steel is early game, so something faster and more advanced would be nice.
Use bots. Manual stuff is for the early game.
steel is more mid game, but I wouldn't mind a boost from exoskeletons
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:11. Robotic Arm Extensions; modular armor mod, increases placement and destruction range.
Use mods, or use blueprints and bots over the map.
I can see this being useful for one offs but yeah you need a personal roboport and a few dozen bots
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:12. New Oil Processing; something besides the 3 existing ones.
You already have basic, advanced, and coal liquification, along with cracking.
And more isn't necessarily better more is just more and more without reason is kind of soul sucking since fluids still aren't very nice
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:13. Heat Exchanger Sprites; already made a thread about this earlier, looks like a boiler with heat pipes.
We'll see. Again, the graphics department is very busy right now.
And you have a thread for this why add it to the list
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:14. New Power Sources; wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, or algae.
Why? How? Water doesn't move, and adding the other stuff would be unneeded complexity.
Again more isn't necessarily better complexity for complexity's sake is frustrating. It wouldn't add to the game just add to confusion of new players
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:15. Counterbalances; If these new power sources are to be created, everyone will just stick to one, so adding them will be a hassle because the developers would have to make reasons to not just stick to one forever.
You're saying that they have to change the game to make it so people will use the stuff they add?
So you add stuff only to add more stuff to fix a problem that isn't there in the first place
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:16. Compressors; compresses conveyor belts.
If your belts aren't compressed, you need more production.
Yup you can't compress belts without pausing them, if you mean you can't add something to a partially compressed belt have you tried adding to undergrounds or splitters they already prefer items from inserters if there's a small gap.
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:17. Cheaper steel; steel should be reduced to 3 iron per steel, as the current rate is too high.
That would go in the balancing subforum.
Or you need to do more mining, personally I think steel is fairly well placed as a barrier to entry for more useful tech it's not needed everywhere but to make the most from your factory you need to upscale and get steel
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:18. Splitter inserter; should be able to put the item on either side, and should be able to allow it to insert only on one side if the player chooses so.
Bob's inserters. Also perhaps a bit complex for new players.
inserters and belts are fairly easily understood and the various work arounds to get the belts to have items on the sides you want them to have items on is one of the things that makes factory fun and one of the things that the Devs want to encourage, being able to better control inserters in some ways kills the puzzle aspect of the game
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:19. Better GUI; I get this game is quite new, but the interface is just gray. It looks old and unappetizing compared to other sprites in Factorio.
Planned for 0.16 (source, source.)
Yup but I think you might be beginning to see a theme this game isn't in full release it's in early access and various elements are being improved, you've already seen if you've followed Jap's links the improvements for tips and tricks and I'm sure that's not the only one, but that said this is a factory game, dull and grey and grimy says factory all over
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:20. 2 Player Vehicles; for pvp-team multiplayer.
That would have a very narrow use. You can build two cars or tanks, and if you have a train players can ride in wagons and cargo wagons, so as long as you don't have a single engine, you're good.
Actually 2 or more people can get in a single train engine but only the first one has control, I'm not sure the same isn't true of cars and tanks anyway
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:21. Improved pvp-team multiplayed; add something, because pvp feels like normal factorio againts humans.
Maybe. Not the main focus of the game.
but there are multiplayer aspects like this in the works, you might be better talking to map makers than asking the devs for better multiplayer by default because it's the map design and the challenges set within the maps that makes PVP or team faction'd multiplayer interesting, I once had an Idea about a world with a mirror down the middle and an impassable line and having a bot team on one side and a belt team on the other, with a race to launch a rocket, bot team got access to logistics bots belt team doesn't but bot team can only use yellow belts.
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:22. Better rocket launch animation; the current one looks fantastic, and I get this is supposed to be a very optimized game, but I think the rocket launch animation, being the thing that is at the zenith of what your factory should've had accomplished to that point, it should have alot more fire, breaking objects, explosions, sound FX, etc.
So... you're saying that stuff should be breaking when you're "at the zenith of what your factory should've had accomplished to that point"?
I think what he's after is more artwork again and there should be some way to ramp up the difficulty without a restartmaybe turning on expensive recipes and increasing the multiplier, you've defeated this so why not take it to the next level
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:23. Large Accumulators; for more compact solar arrays.
Mods or just use bots to build a lot.
big sprawling bases are part of the fun, why not remove some of the biggest and most complex structures and make them a magic block?
Jap2.0 wrote:
Maybe. I'm fairly certain mods add this. It would require all power poles to have 4 spots for wires, though.
I kind of think more wire colours might have uses but one of the challenges of the game is working within the limits and adding a blue wire isn't a simple oh one new wire everything works it's changing the code in small ways in 1000s of places and adding sprites and more, unless you can have any wire colour you want but only 2 colours can attach to any object at a time, and 3 colours to power poles, would certainly make you think add complexity and utility in the same swipe, I like it
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:25. Turret conveyor belts; able to be placed on walls. Should let the turret move along the path you've built.
Useless late-game, and would make the game a bit easier.
is there any real benefit having the turrets on conveyors there's still loading them with ammo and if they're fixed to walls anyways? I mean for turret creep they'd be wonderful but I'd need some convincing
Jap2.0 wrote:
NamelessMurder wrote:Also, I know this is 26, but please make birds.
Maybe. They would have very little real purpose though.
another source of food on land would be nice ^_^ especially for those only water in starting area type maps.

but Yeah one item per thread is better I only replied because I'd seen someone else had taken the effort and they deserved a little appreciation for going to the effort ;)

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

welcome to factorio. we are sorry to hear how uninteresting this very wonderful game is to you. After you've created 26 mods to change behaviors -you- don't like, please release them as a mod pack. Then we can see how many people want the changes you suggest. Thanks.

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

which bob mod has the option for cheaper steel?
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

for number 5 i think he/she means the trash system like in terraria (if you have heard of it)
it might affect balance because it enables you to just delete stuff in basically one click
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

please make the multiple-player-vehicle a separate feature request.

i like the idea of having 2 player characters in one car, where one drives and the other shoots. or 4 in a tank: driver, shells, machine gun, flame thrower. or several players on a train with combat wagons (i understood an artillery wagon is planned). for each of these it would be great to be able to split the work between the players in the vehicle.

this principle always, in every game it was implemented, made a lot of fun and added a nice bit to the multiplayer game experience.

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

Impatient wrote:please make the multiple-player-vehicle a separate feature request.
Bullet lists like this thread are usually justifiably ignored by game developers. If someone is too lazy to make a post for each suggestion, they are either not good suggestions, or they're not really interested.

So it might work better if you post it yourself.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

nljr wrote:
So it might work better if you post it yourself.
you want things to get done? done: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53368

;)

vlan0
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vlan0 »

UTP Cat. 5e; 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”