Engineer, Multi-tool, Building base - Pile of ideas

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Basterbane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Engineer, Multi-tool, Building base - Pile of ideas

Post by Basterbane »

Greeting Factorians. After watching number of people play Factorio I have come here to ask you if some of the ideas I have are possible to create either as a mod or in base game. I'm sorry in advance if this post will be hard to read/understand.

Ever since I saw Factorio I wondered how is this little man hand crafting all those complicated and big structures? One solution I found is similar to how you make things in Subnautica. You start with Star Trek like replicator in your escape pod. Makes me think that Engineer has one in his backpack to make all the items. It does not consume any energy and can make items of any size.

My idea is to have Engineer inventory and his backpack device visible and upgradeable. Everything divided in number of slots for different extensions. Backpack itself is a bit of storage and a bit of crafting utility (like Subnautica replicator) and connect to each other. You can make small objects and components.

Slots:
Right/Left hand: One hand has generic Pick & Axe tool for early deforestation and raw ore gathering, Other hand later could be equipped with replicator gun (something like nano-bots gun from mod).
Chest: Conventional armor slot, more in a sense of bulletproof vest over standard uniform - in this case Power Armor would be an entity like a car/tank.
Head: Generic helmet with headlight, night vision googles, etc.
Belt: Batman style belt with everything you need that fits pockets. The current Factorio belt is more like a shortcut to inventory rather than real belt. Haven't really thought about it.

Backpack:
This is your inventory and replicator. They are connected and as such you can handcraft small things and structure components. It is very limited in what it can make, what can be stored inside (limited space so forget of stuffing whole rocket silo inside or 10k iron plates) and is slow at crafting anything above screw, bolt, small components in general. Think more on the realism.

If we keep with the start after crash landing theme then most of the items you start with are damaged and therefore even less effective. You would also need some kind of way to provide power to your backpack. Rechargeable batteries come to mind.

Speaking of crash landing. Is it possible to start with crashed space ship? It could contain some essential components and materials. Some form of weak power source (used to charge backpack replicator and few devices). If we look at it as chest with items then power source would be a damaged reactor.
Ship (more like escape pod or small shuttle at best - like the Star Trek ones) could also be an entity like buildings from Factorissimo with interior and things you can interact with. I'm thinking more and more Subnautica starting position but not as wet. If I went with this then having replicator in the backpack would not be all that important as the ship would fulfil that function just as well or even better, having more space to work with.

For Factorio Crashed ship instead of a chest could just be all in one: Assembler, power source, storage space, early research station etc.. You could later disassemble the the whole into components and materials or fix them and make the whole thing able to fly (saw a plane mod in one of the Youtuber videos) making it a mobile assembly machine.
I'm thinking along the lines that right after crash the reactor is too damaged to make the power from "fuel" or maybe too unstable to output the power at 100% to make the shuttle fly. Some other high tech components could also be missing. First stage of mobile assembly could in this case be battery powered Backpack replicator with particle gun (for larger structures), then a truck. Construction robots would be very advanced and most likely you would need more than one of them to assemble anything with reasonable speed.

With some power provided by Ship reactor you could remove/ignore burner miners on the other hand their complexity is low so they might be easier to start with (no access to electric engine technology or construction materials). Having ship with assembler first would also make hand crafting less of a chore. You could still assemble some items with hands but no longer twist and bend iron plates into gears.

Talk about components, assemble this, assemble that. I see some potential change in how you build things. Instead of clicking button and getting steam engine or assembly machine after some time you would need to put more effort into this.
First make everything more complex, needing more components. Instead of plates + gears + electric circuits make it be something like assembler frame (that comes from few other sub components), some internal box with gears, machine hand tools etc. (making ship assembler very important at the start). Electric miners would have frame, some gears, complex bits and some kind of mining head (that could for the most masochistic of people have durability and need replacing from time to time). Electric engines could be opened earlier and be made from different materials - also a complex bunch of stuff. Even conveyor belts could be made more complex.

Building the base: Since everything is more realistic and bigger just running around and slapping buildings left, right, centre is a no-no. What you are placing in this case is "construction site" - a blueprint/ghost image of a desired structure that has inventory. You put the items it asks inside and then magic happens. You either stand near and hold button to assemble the parts or spray the thing with ship or hand replicator gun (or some other mobile version of replicator). Again character inventory would be tiny so maybe the largest of parts could take the hand slots as in - you carry the item in your hands.
Replicator guns would have limited range depending on their size and power.

How will my army of robots build my base for me you ask? Construction robots have on their board weak replicator gun or maybe something near the level of hand gun. They will fly to the construction sites that have all the materials and assemble the structure. Most of the time group of construction will move to assemble things to speed up the process.
You also wont need to hand place all the materials on construction site. I have 3 options: Logistic robots place do it, Construction robots go into transport mode and put the things in and finally dedicated transportation robots (can look like blimp) make the effort.

Next after assemblers and other replicator like entities are prefabrication plants. They make the going big possible, building huge base is no longer a dream. You place orders in them of what "finished" things you want, like miners or assemblers. This plant works like a virtual construction zone. They make ready to place buildings (some size limitation is in place - no rocket silos in boxes). Then when you paste desired buildings blueprint somewhere on the map, transport robot (it a cargo blimp) takes pre-made entity and places it on site. Construction robots finalise the construction process.

This sadly makes removing buildings a difficult task. If you can repack them and move somewhere else with transport robot then fine, but early on it would lead to lots of reassembling and rage. Moving construction zones is not a problem. You would need to be 100% sure that this is where you want stuff placed before assembling it.

Again since you crashed most of the things are damaged, destroyed, can be salvaged for components and lastly fixed to get 100% efficiency & new functions. You could also choose to start by landing on the planet instead of crashing for easier game :P

Last minute change: Having flying ship you could also set up landing pads around your base for automated transportation. There was another thing in my mind about this functionality but I forgot what it was. ~edit2: In case of crashed shuttle technologies would not be researched but salvaged from it's computer data banks (that we try to fix with science potions or some other mechanics).

HUH... This is it. Was going to be only about Engineer and his backpack of wonders and look how long it came out :(
Last edited by Basterbane on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basterbane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Engineer, Multi-tool, Building base - Pile of ideas

Post by Basterbane »

Marcus Aseth wrote:-
-
Read this OR be ignored! :\
What blunder I committed! Thank you.
If I tried I could maybe divide my wall of text into 2-3 threads, but I didn't want to spam forum first thing after registering. I agree the thread title could use more effort.

I'll settle for being ignored :(

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Basterbane wrote:First make everything more complex, needing more components. Instead of plates + gears + electric circuits make it be something like assembler frame (that comes from few other sub components), some internal box with gears, machine hand tools etc. (making ship assembler very important at the start). Electric miners would have frame, some gears, complex bits and some kind of mining head (that could for the most masochistic of people have durability and need replacing from time to time). Electric engines could be opened earlier and be made from different materials - also a complex bunch of stuff. Even conveyor belts could be made more complex.
If complexity is what you are after, then I suggest you give Bob's Mods a try.

Basterbane wrote:If I tried I could maybe divide my wall of text into 2-3 threads, but I didn't want to spam forum first thing after registering. I agree the thread title could use more effort.
If the suggestions you made are important to you, you may want to first post your most important suggestion (possibly after giving it a bit of extra thought) and see how that goes. You can always post additional suggestions later.

Basterbane
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Engineer, Multi-tool, Building base - Draft of ideas

Post by Basterbane »

Tekky wrote:
Basterbane wrote:First make everything more complex, needing more components. Instead of plates + gears + electric circuits make it be something like assembler frame (that comes from few other sub components), some internal box with gears, machine hand tools etc. (making ship assembler very important at the start). Electric miners would have frame, some gears, complex bits and some kind of mining head (that could for the most masochistic of people have durability and need replacing from time to time). Electric engines could be opened earlier and be made from different materials - also a complex bunch of stuff. Even conveyor belts could be made more complex.
If complexity is what you are after, then I suggest you give Bob's Mods a try.

Basterbane wrote:If I tried I could maybe divide my wall of text into 2-3 threads, but I didn't want to spam forum first thing after registering. I agree the thread title could use more effort.
If the suggestions you made are important to you, you may want to first post your most important suggestion (possibly after giving it a bit of extra thought) and see how that goes. You can always post additional suggestions later.
One reason I wrote this post was to get the idea out of my head. The other is that I watch Nilaus play Factorio allot (probably more than other people play the game) and I find it interesting when he complains about Angel's mods complexity, especially the love he has for petrochem mod.

My original idea was to have all the entities be harder, more complex to make. Example: Mining drill - be it coal powered or electric one it would take number of components instead of few plates, circuits and gears. You would first assemble the entity frame, fill it with mechanism responsible for its operation (steam engine, electric engine that also are much more complex and realistic to make) and then to maintain its operation provide drill head. There are also screws bolts and other tiny parts (for bolts another tool could be made - the pneumatic hammer). In short: they become steam/electric powered auto pickaxe.

This led me to the revamp of the starting position. Giving player a shuttle that can perform number of function at the start of the game, limited in its post crash state.
Science lab or more like computer with its damaged memory banks. We are no rediscovering wheel again, we just restore our knowledge how things work. It gets even better once we reach space as we gain access to "interstellar internet" that is simulated by space science potion. At least that is how I explain to myself all the science potions things.

Assembler for the most part limits or substitutes the need for hand crafting early on. I would probably like it to also have the prefabrication function. Not maybe would feel the joy of carrying 6 different parts from assembler to construction site over and over again. Prefabrication makes structures more compact and easier to assemble on site.
Assembling entities on construction site is similar to how old Black and White building system works. Instead of dropping wood on the structure and see it be build you stand near and use "assemble button" and put together all the parts on site into finished entity or unpack prefabricated one (faster and easier). You would probably need some kind of hand-cart to transport the things - substitute for car and character's limited inventory space and carring capacity.
Having access to construction and transport robots that move on land could also help the early game in this case. Flying robots look like something really high tech.

Reactor on your ship provides little power and its all thanks your fixing. You reroute few things, fix some other and it can run on wood gas or some other early source of fuel (like DeLorean in Back to the Future). Late game having junk ship that's all but useless would probably earn it a nuke so idea I had was to make it into flying shuttle. It can fly, carry materials, function as roboport etc.
Fixing a ship and upgrading it would take a while so a truck and later train like that would probably come first. Again Nilaus had a truck in one of his modded games with roboport and robots to cut wood.

I think of this thread as a draft more than a finished idea. I could probably divide it into 2-3 individual idea threads at this point. Thanks everyone for views and replies :)

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

Heres a few mods that I use which you might like....

AAI Industry - https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel/aai-industry

Adds motors to several recipes and adds complexity to early game.

10x Harder (by yours truly) https://mods.factorio.com/mods/withers/10xHarder

Replaces gears in a lot of the recipes for placeable equipment with machinery. (The 10x part is customizable)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”