Removal of base version dependencies for mods

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Removal of base version dependencies for mods

Post by Alien_Squasher »

So, with the current stable build of 15.34, I've had to personally edit many dependencies for a number of mods in order to force them to work. Personally, I think that instead of having a "Base version requirement" you should only have a mod requirement, for mods that depend on other mods, like how all of 5Dim's mods depend of 5Dim's Library. I think the base version requirement is if anything counterproductive, because then people just go in and edit dependencies if they want it to work. Instead, If say a mod for 0.12 breaks the game you should just get an error message telling you what mod doesn't work and have the game disable it automatically when it gives you the error message. This would probably work better than the current system of broken mod protection.
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Removal of base version dependencies for mods

Post by Klonan »

Alien_Squasher wrote:So, with the current stable build of 15.34, I've had to personally edit many dependencies for a number of mods in order to force them to work. Personally, I think that instead of having a "Base version requirement" you should only have a mod requirement, for mods that depend on other mods, like how all of 5Dim's mods depend of 5Dim's Library. I think the base version requirement is if anything counterproductive, because then people just go in and edit dependencies if they want it to work. Instead, If say a mod for 0.12 breaks the game you should just get an error message telling you what mod doesn't work and have the game disable it automatically when it gives you the error message. This would probably work better than the current system of broken mod protection.
We had this system for a long time, and when we would update the game, many people would come to bug reports and complain that all their mods broke, that things are making errors, and features of mods don't work etc.

Even if a mod would load in the new version, say 0.15, it doesn't mean all the API functionality is the same, and means that the thousands of mod users updating their game will come to us for help when some errant mod decides to ruin their experience

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

Klonan wrote:
Alien_Squasher wrote:So, with the current stable build of 15.34, I've had to personally edit many dependencies for a number of mods in order to force them to work. Personally, I think that instead of having a "Base version requirement" you should only have a mod requirement, for mods that depend on other mods, like how all of 5Dim's mods depend of 5Dim's Library. I think the base version requirement is if anything counterproductive, because then people just go in and edit dependencies if they want it to work. Instead, If say a mod for 0.12 breaks the game you should just get an error message telling you what mod doesn't work and have the game disable it automatically when it gives you the error message. This would probably work better than the current system of broken mod protection.
We had this system for a long time, and when we would update the game, many people would come to bug reports and complain that all their mods broke, that things are making errors, and features of mods don't work etc.

Even if a mod would load in the new version, say 0.15, it doesn't mean all the API functionality is the same, and means that the thousands of mod users updating their game will come to us for help when some errant mod decides to ruin their experience
Oh. D:. Well I mean come on.... You go to the developers because of a mod. No. Just no. Oh well, thanks anyway.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

You just did the same thing mods didn't work because of a reliance on base functions so after fixing it you complained to the devs rather than telling the mod makers they should update their mods (ie it's worth it cause people still want to use them)

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

I agree with Klonan (is he surprised?) I've had a couple of cases where all I change in a mod is the info.json dependency and things get weird. (e.g. it took me longer to fix Pollution Damage than it did for me to write the original 0.12 version and there are 0.12 mods that never got updated ...it's so hard to fix them that I still boot up 0.12 on occasion. These are a major part of the reason I was chasing Klonan all over the mod forum and Reddit strangling him for the demise of the original factoriomods.com.)

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

JohnyDL wrote:You just did the same thing mods didn't work because of a reliance on base functions so after fixing it you complained to the devs rather than telling the mod makers they should update their mods (ie it's worth it cause people still want to use them)
I gave a suggestion that would improve the game. Not going "FIX MY MODS!"

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”