Cargo Ships

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ItsDarthChaos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cargo Ships

Post by ItsDarthChaos »

It's such an obvious topic, that I'm sure it's been said many times before, but with the new ocean generations on the way, I think it'd be worth saying again. No one wants to invest the resources to build a train line around a whole ocean, and with the pictures from the Friday Facts, it looks like it's going to be an issue more prominent than currently. It'd be a interesting to see a way to build your own shipping ports, similar to the railyards that people have come up with.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Cargo Ships

Post by Tekky »

I fully agree. However, as you have already stated, it has been suggested many times before. Here are a few links:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5419 Cargo ship
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2037 bridges, boats, oceans, depleting water
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5027 The Water!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3521 Ships

These links were taken from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4806 Frequently Suggested Ideas

Also, here is another link from the "Frequently Suggested" sub-forum:

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14024 Travel over Water: Boats, Ships, Canus / Bridges / Tunnels

Drunkenseagull
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Cargo Ships

Post by Drunkenseagull »

I just really wanted to second the cargo ship idea although I know I’m far from the second to do that. I still remember my first play through of factorio in 0.11, finally getting blue science, though most of the research, and being shocked there were no boats. It just seemed such a natural thing to be in the game and meant the oil on the far side of the lake near my base took a lot more work than planned to access. I’m probably somewhere around 1500 hours into this game now, so I’ve wanted automated cargo ships and ports (plus offshore resources) for about 1475 of that. That said this game is already top shelf and crammed with so many good features.

Cargo ships would be great not only functionally but in creating variety as well. It’s fairly common for a large resource field to be on the other side of a slim ocean that just seems to go on forever and building track / clearing baddies all the way around it is kind of lame. It would be a lot more interesting having ships to carry the resources across to offload into a train to take to your base.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”