Wired Splitters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Solarson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Wired Splitters

Post by Solarson »

TL;DR
Adding the ability to wire splitters

What ?
I think it should be an option that once wiring has been researched, you should be able to wire splitters allowing it to change the ratio of splitting (20% Exit left, 80% Exit Right) or just simply make it so that one side is disabled under certain circumstances.
Why ?
I think it would be a good idea because if you could change how splitters work, you could come up with more efficient ways for your factory to use resources. (Once a chest reaches X amount of items, splitter stops sending items towards it)

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Wired Splitters

Post by Tekky »

I fully agree. However, it has been suggested several times before, in the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23616 Smart Splitter (The Real One)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51051 Circuit controlled splitter
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49729 Underground Belts, Splitters & The Circuit Network

ItsDarthChaos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ItsDarthChaos »

Honestly, if you want THAT much control over your resources, then I would recommend ditching belts as soon as you can build robots. Logistics networks are amazing for sending resources exactly as they are needed without having a bunch of wasted material just because your machines had to fill a belt.

The problem with what you're wanting is that depending on where your splitter is, by the time you have the amount of materials you want stocked, the belts could have another few hundred of extra materials that they will have to drain after the splitters shut off. The only way you could be accurate would be to actually add up the amount of resources that the belt would be holding and subtract that from what you want to keep stocked.

It really is easier to keep a stockpile of the base resources in a provider chest, then have them sent to a requester chest as they are needed.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Noone will ever change splitters. This has bee said quite a few times.
Factorio is a game where you make complex things with simple elements. So it is your task to invent structure that will fulfill your specific goal.
For example making unproportional split can be done with a simple splitter and precise control over wired belts on a splitter outputs with combinators.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”