Personal solar panel research

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Eotena
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Personal solar panel research

Post by Eotena »

Hey guys,

I was playing factorio today and just researched personal solar panels and wanted to craft some, but was unable to do so since I hadnt researched solar panels yet. It hit me as kinda odd that the personal solar panel research was available without having researched the regular solar panels.

Maybe for a next patch this "issue" ( i dont really see it as an issue, more like a flaw that went overlooked) can be "fixed".

See ya guys,
Eotena

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Personal solar panel research

Post by nljr »

The same thing happened to me last night with the rocket silo. Got it all up and running making rocket parts, then realized I needed solar panels and accumulators for the satellite.

It feels pretty weird when recipe dependence doesn't match research dependencies.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Why? There's plenty of things we know how to make in the real world if we only knew how to make the parts -- space elevators need stronger cable than we know how to make yet, but we're getting there. Stuff like that.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Yeah, there's various recipes whose tech doesn't depend on all the techs for their ingredients. In some cases this is because the same tech unlocks other things you can build which *don't* require those ingredients, so having the extra dependency would be a restriction, and in other cases it's just not there even though it's definitely required. Many of the techs which require particular science packs to research also don't depend on the tech that allows you to produce that science pack.

This has been discussed a number of times and the general answer seems to be that adding all these dependencies would make the tech tree very complicated, and the old pre-0.15 tech tree UI was definitely not up to displaying it (it's better in 0.15 but still can get quite cramped and hard to follow if there's lots of things: try using bobs+angels or other complex modpacks and seeing how it's displayed when there are way more techs than in vanilla). The search in the technology screen will always let you find how to make a particular required ingredient.

There's a mod which adds the science pack dependencies automatically: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Nidan/sc ... pendencies
I don't think there's a mod which does the same for recipe ingredients; it would be possible but I'm not sure what you'd do in the cases where there's multiple recipes unlocked by a tech that don't all need the same things to make...

ItsDarthChaos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ItsDarthChaos »

torne wrote:Yeah, there's various recipes whose tech doesn't depend on all the techs for their ingredients. In some cases this is because the same tech unlocks other things you can build which *don't* require those ingredients, so having the extra dependency would be a restriction, and in other cases it's just not there even though it's definitely required. Many of the techs which require particular science packs to research also don't depend on the tech that allows you to produce that science pack.

This has been discussed a number of times and the general answer seems to be that adding all these dependencies would make the tech tree very complicated, and the old pre-0.15 tech tree UI was definitely not up to displaying it (it's better in 0.15 but still can get quite cramped and hard to follow if there's lots of things: try using bobs+angels or other complex modpacks and seeing how it's displayed when there are way more techs than in vanilla). The search in the technology screen will always let you find how to make a particular required ingredient.

There's a mod which adds the science pack dependencies automatically: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Nidan/sc ... pendencies
I don't think there's a mod which does the same for recipe ingredients; it would be possible but I'm not sure what you'd do in the cases where there's multiple recipes unlocked by a tech that don't all need the same things to make...
Well, then maybe it is more of a case of saying the devs should do a bit of modifying the tech tree. Moving item groupings around so that the tech tree makes more sense without becoming overly complicated.

MrMeep
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MrMeep »

The problem is that some techs unlock multiple items, some with more dependencies than others. It is probably a better idea to show the player when researching a tech if an item can be crafted, partly crafted or not completely crafted (For instance with a normal, yellow or red tone to the item icon under the unlockables of a tech). This is probably a better idea because the devs have said that changing the tech tree to eliminate this problem will make it harder and so less fun.
MEEP MEEP MEEP

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”