Incorporation of Bobs Mods and Angels Mods

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

xenon54xenon54
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Incorporation of Bobs Mods and Angels Mods

Post by xenon54xenon54 »

I think that Bob's and Angel's mods add so much realism, logistics, and industry to the game that their concepts should be incorporated into the Factorio base game. Angel's mods improve smelting and ore refining so dramatically and make them so much more realistic, and then Bob's Mods add industry, ores, tools, combat, realism, and technology. Integrating their concepts into vanilla Factorio would be amazing, especially since it would take the attention away from them and direct it towards other developing and interesting mods. Also, game support is a bit easier on the devs when you aren't using mods. Like I do ever since I started modding.
Point is, the smelting system of Factorio could be better with Angels, and the industry could be greatly expanded and improved with Bob's, and the game would be better with them as a part of the game permanently.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Incorporation of Bobs Mods and Angels Mods

Post by Lubricus »

I like bob's mod and haven't tried angels.
I think bob's mod add more complexity and content but it is in some way more of the same complexity, in vanilla you find new types of bottlenecks and have to find optimizations on new levels when you play at a god pace. Bob's mod have a tendency to slow that down and the late game stuff is so overpowered so it breaks the game.

So in conclusion I thinks bob's should be a mod and it's a bad idea to add everything to the vanilla although some parts could be great. Then it is also a big cost in future development to add to much content. The cost is that it's bad to remove features that is incompatible to future features that is even better and it will be more and more job to change and ad more stuff without problems with incompatibilities. With mods we can't complain if they get obsolete and the mod authors have to fix the compatibility issues for new versions of the game without pay.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

There are things that should be part of vanilla ... and things that suit better to mod realm. I think that as good as Angel's and bob's mods are, they are more suited to being mods people will get when they start feeling bored with vanilla. I'm afraid the quantity of things would be overwhelming for a beginner with all of Angel's and Bob's directly integrated into vanilla.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

xenon54xenon54
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xenon54xenon54 »

So, minus the OP stuff in Bob's, the main reasons why they shouldn't be integrated is that they are too difficult and complicated for beginner/inexperienced players and are so massive they would be difficult to implement, and therefore it would be easier on everybody if this wasn't put into the base game and they stayed as mods.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

First of all Bob and Angel are not part of Factorio dev team so their product can't be integrated into vanilla game.
Second thing is their overall complexity. It is really something that can blow a mind of a pretty experienced Factorio player not to mention beginners.
So there are really many weird and nice mods out there which are really feature rich and interesting to play. And this is the result of the game being moddable and having really nice modding support by devs.
There will be even more mods around and this does not mean they should be integrated into base game. This will literally rob mod developers of their intellectual property.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

PacifyerGrey wrote:First of all Bob and Angel are not part of Factorio dev team so their product can't be integrated into vanilla game.
Some mods have been integrated, in a way or another, into vanilla. Not exactly integrated as-is, but close enough so that the original mod was not needed any more. The most striking example I have in mind is blueprint strings.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”