"Cache Chest" instead of "Buffer Chest"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

beiju
Inserter
Inserter

"Cache Chest" instead of "Buffer Chest"

Post by beiju »

I suggest that "Cache Chest" would be a more suitable name for the upcoming new logistics chest in 0.16.

The function of the chests doesn't perfectly fit the definition of either a cache or a buffer. In my opinion, it's closer to a cache, but that can be debated.

I suggest that a more compelling reason is that people in Factorio communities have been using the phrase "buffer chest" for a while to refer to a setup where a chest is put in between a producer and consumer of resources — common in train stations, heavily-moduled assemblies, and sorting facilities. This conflicting terminology is likely to cause confusion and misinterpretation when these new chests become available. On the contrary, the phrase "cache chest" is very rarely used.

Evidence: Tl;dr: "Buffer" and "Cache" could both apply to what this new chest does. Since "buffer chest" already has a meaning and "cache chest" doesn't, "Cache Chest" is a more suitable name for this new item.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: "Cache Chest" instead of "Buffer Chest"

Post by Koub »

The search thing has to give you this outcome. It will always do so when an existing word begins to be used for a new concept. Then, upon use, its prevalence in the search engines gets more inline with its new usage frequency.

Want an example ? "Docker".
Prior to 2013, a "Docker" search would have returned you massively links towards dockworkers, and maybe clothes, ... Today, I dare you to find anything related to waterfronts when you search for "Docker".
Retry your search in 2 years,and you'll see, everybody will have gotten to use "Buffer Chest" if it gets this name.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

I think Buffer is perfect. Normal, non-logistic chests can be used as a buffer for conveyor/inserter systems. But for a logistic network, you need a logistic chest designed for buffering.

Veklim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Veklim »

I actually kinda agree with the OP tbh, not perhaps the name 'cache' but the sentiment of the suggestion is valid. The term is used in a variety of sources and has been for a very long time, in fact storage chest 'buffers' are also pretty common in certain bot setups already, and so the confusion would certainly be apparent. Usage would change over time, and there would be no long term problems, but for the short term, especially concerning guides (both text and video), multiplayer communication and the myriad of forum posts, reddits and the like, there would be some great deal of confusion and miscommunication possible. Not sure if that's enough of a reason to rethink the naming convention, but I absolutely understand where the OP is coming from and tend to agree some sort of distinction will be helpful between the conceptual function and the item of said name.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

I won't even make a new object for this. You may have a "smart chest" again, that can passively store, request and provide items to the logistics network. One item for requester, storage and buffer chest in one. You just demand what it does in its UI. Of course only surplus items would be offered to the logistics network. Maybe a request count of "0" could work as an item filter, so only those items could be put in this chest then.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”