un/load stopped trains at circuit controlled rail signals

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bitbased
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

un/load stopped trains at circuit controlled rail signals

Post by bitbased »

It would be useful to allow circuit controlled rail signals to allow loading/unloading of trains. With this, you could create more complex multi-stage train stations, or long range belt-less supply systems, without having to configure as many stations. As an example I posted an image of munitions supply train network along a wall. It uses a timer that forces the train to stop at each signal for a few moments to unload ammo (but does not work as trains in automatic mode will not allow unloading at signals).

This could be game-changing if a base already has an inserter near a circuit network connected rail signal. A mode of operation to "[ ] Allow loading" in the circuit connection might be a good way to avoid that.

Also, this would be incredibly useful with turret ammo signals as requested here, as the train could remain at a station until a turret is low on ammo and proceed directly to it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47787&p=283217&hili ... al#p283217
Attachments
Munitions supply rail network
Munitions supply rail network
Screenshot 2017-08-07 17.29.38.jpg (278.42 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
Last edited by bitbased on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pingger
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Train unloading at circuit network controlled rail signals

Post by pingger »

Make everywhere stations with the same name, attach circuit network, enable/disable these stations using the circuit network, train while move to the nearest station that is enabled. So why do you need unloading at rail signals?

Sneaker2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sneaker2 »

I'd say firstly; it looks kind of stupid, secondly; you need to insert all those stops with the exact number of stations into your timetable, which would make it quite long.

If you had just one destination and an interupt + unloading, the system setup would be a lot easier. I must admit, I've never built something like this, but I like the idea.

On the other hand, if there was ever a system which relied on the fact that any signal-stopped train can not be serviced by inserters, this would be destroyed.

bitbased
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bitbased »

pingger wrote:Make everywhere stations with the same name, attach circuit network, enable/disable these stations using the circuit network, train while move to the nearest station that is enabled. So why do you need unloading at rail signals?
Right, I forgot about stations with the same name, that might work, altho not as compact of a setup and can't stop on curves (altho some limitations can be a good thing / challenge).
Sneaker2 wrote:... secondly; you need to insert all those stops with the exact number of stations into your timetable, which would make it quite long.
I think pingger is on to something, at least for the ammo loading use-case: you would just need a single directional rail network, signals only on 1 side, and each station having the same name. Then only add the station name once to the timetable conditions ... then alternate enabling disabling every other station and the train should move forward to the next station ... a bit more tricky of a setup but should work the same. Edit: Actually the solution is to have alternating station names, for example "Ammo 1", "Ammo 2" and you don't even need a circuit network (altho it doesn't aesthetically look the way I prefer).

Also note: You can see here that a train prefers stations it previously left from over the nearest station of the same name, which makes reversing without a loop not as simple :(
Screenshot 2017-08-08 13.41.57.jpg
Screenshot 2017-08-08 13.41.57.jpg (329.39 KiB) Viewed 3059 times

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: un/load stopped trains at circuit controlled rail signals

Post by BenSeidel »

Just disable the stop when it's occupied. If you have a single headed train it's simple, if not place a dummy train stop in front of the last stop to ensure that it goes in the forward direction.
disable when occupied.jpg
disable when occupied.jpg (414.46 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
note the power pole that is connected to the stop. This is required to allow the stop to read it's own T value.

Edit: also note that the train has the stop scheduled twice. If you only enter it once then the train never leaves the current stop (it's the same behaviour with any train that only has one scheduled stop, regardless of the enabled status of the stop or the conditions to leave).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”