Player Inventory Width Setting/Value

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Volvith
Inserter
Inserter

Player Inventory Width Setting/Value

Post by Volvith »

TL;DR
Make default inventory width of 10 items per row changeable in menu, or add "inventory_width" value to data.raw["player"]["player"].
What ?
Add an option to the menu, maybe under graphics, that sets the row width of player inventory.
HOT PICS
Why ?
Normally, in factorio, you wouldn't need to scroll through your inventory.
But when you use a modpack made up of other modpacks, you do.
Especially when your inventory grows beyond 350 slots, which yes, is possible...

ANYHOW, I happen to play Factorio on a rather obscenely large (30"), WIDE monitor.
Result: GUI looks really thin, as inventory width is stationary ATM, relative to game height.

If there are any mods to achieve this effect, or if you have tips&tricks on how to mod this, or if you have any additional idea's regarding this subject, please DO post them below, as all help is welcome, and i'm always trying to learn! ;D
Rational People: If it ain't fucked, don't fuck it.
Engineers: If it ain't fucked, unfuck it till it's perfect.
Me as an Engineer: If it ain't fucked, i'll fuck it till it is.

Garie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Player Inventory Width Setting/Value

Post by Garie »

I hope for this.
Similiar like the Grid Mod Settings of the power armor.

xeneonic
Inserter
Inserter

Custom Inventory Width

Post by xeneonic »

TL;DR
Allow players to change the default inventory width in Settings -> Interface.

What ?
Currently, players can go to factorio\data\core\prototypes\utility-constants.lua, on line 320, change inventory_width to their desired number.
There are three issues with this:
1. Not user friendly.
2. Overwritten when verifying integrity
3. Cannot join any server (Or have players join your hosted one) because file mismatch.

As an example below, first one is default (10), second is an inventory width of 20.

Having this variable not be a constant and instead a user setting, and having it accessible in Settings -> Interface, you solve all three points.

Why ?
More player control.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Custom Inventory Width

Post by Stringweasel »

This is possible with a mod. This mod can do it

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Custom-Pr ... n-UI-Fixed
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

xeneonic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xeneonic »

But you can't join other servers with it, because it's a mod.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

+1
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with same or similar suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

xeneonic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xeneonic »

Koub wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:31 pm
[Koub] Merged into older thread with same or similar suggestion.
I apologize, I did not see that thread.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

xeneonic wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:26 pm
But you can't join other servers with it, because it's a mod.
I'm curious, though, why do you need it in vanilla? As only mods can grow the inventory size to a point where (to me) this could be needed, I fail to understand its need in vanilla.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:07 pm
I'm curious, though, why do you need it in vanilla? As only mods can grow the inventory size to a point where (to me) this could be needed, I fail to understand its need in vanilla.
A setting in vanilla would allow to have the custom inventory width no matter the server one is joining.
Keeping this as a mod, one would have to rely on the server administrators - and if that particular mod is not used on that server, just deal with its absence.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:41 am
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:07 pm
A setting in vanilla would allow to have the custom inventory width no matter the server one is joining.
Keeping this as a mod, one would have to rely on the server administrators - and if that particular mod is not used on that server, just deal with its absence.
I'm aware of that. I think my question was misunderstood.

The only point I see behind this is when another mod increases your inventory size (slot count) well above and beyond vanilla. So... why can't a mod also be used to expand how many slots are in a row? Why does it need to be put in vanilla?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

xeneonic
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xeneonic »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:55 am
The only point I see behind this is when another mod increases your inventory size (slot count) well above and beyond vanilla. So... why can't a mod also be used to expand how many slots are in a row? Why does it need to be put in vanilla?
Because you may join a server that has increased inventory slots (such as most bobs mods servers but also others, such as custom scenario ones which strictly are softmods, for example, almost all comfy servers (Chronotrain, mountain defense etc).

I would like to furthermore emphasize the fact that making it possible in vanilla doesn't prevent anyone from not using the feature and it would be a very easy feature to make vanilla with minimal dev time cost. I also wouldn't mind it being one of the hidden settings (Shift-clicking the settings button for example) in case you want to make it accessible to anyone looking for it yet not "polluting" the interface settings for those that don't. Or just don't require a CRC check for a setting such as inventory-width when editing the lua... though 2 of my 3 points would still be valid in that case.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Also, the best inventory width for a person will depend on their monitor aspect ratio and resolution.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Seems more like a good argument for allowing UI/client-side only modding, because I can almost guarantee this won't be the last thing that someone can think of where one person might want one thing changed in the UI whereas someone else doesn't.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:29 pm
Seems more like a good argument for allowing UI/client-side only modding, because I can almost guarantee this won't be the last thing that someone can think of where one person might want one thing changed in the UI whereas someone else doesn't.
Actually good colour-blind settings spring instantly to mind.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
I have long felt Factorio would be well served with a separation between mod code in the control layer (which is in synchronized game state) and a separate UI layer (which is local to each player). Any actions the UI layer takes which need to be sent to the control layer would incur a delay since it needs to be sent to all players. I do not expect this to ever happen though, since it would have potential to not just hugely break mods but probably also the base game. The benefit of this is that the UI layer can have access to things which are not in game state.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

Thats a good one. Give us an option to say (eg. 2x5 / 5x2)
But more important please an option to disable the trash/logistic view - i never use it and it is so big.
(I never use logistig bots in over 5.000 houres Factorio - i hate them)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

pleegwat wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:55 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
I have long felt Factorio would be well served with a separation between mod code in the control layer (which is in synchronized game state) and a separate UI layer (which is local to each player). Any actions the UI layer takes which need to be sent to the control layer would incur a delay since it needs to be sent to all players. I do not expect this to ever happen though, since it would have potential to not just hugely break mods but probably also the base game. The benefit of this is that the UI layer can have access to things which are not in game state.
Well, I'm thinking a more hard line separation. A flag that is set in the .info file that when true grants access to use/read api/properties only (no write-back) with the exception of UI only elements. If you need the ability to write something back that's going to affect game determinism, then that's no longer client side only and would be flat out denied/unavailable with the flag set.

In this way, these flagged mods could be loaded on a client system without the need of its running on the server and all other connected clients, too.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”