/colour command as an alise to /color

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

banak71
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

/colour command as an alise to /color

Post by banak71 »

TL;DR
Please introduce "/colour" as an identical command to "/color", rather than being undefined

Why ?
Reduces frustration and confusion for non-US players who tend to be used to -our ending to a word. I forget why it doesn't work every time.

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: /colour command as an alise to /color

Post by Roxor128 »

It's baffling that the US spelling would be supported by developers who aren't even from the US in the first place.

When I was learning HTML back in the mid-1990s, I got tripped up by the use of US spellings of "colour" all the bloody time!

Contrast this to POVRay scene description language which was designed properly and supports both US and international spellings of "colour".

Volvith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Volvith »

Colour, armour, etc.
I'm 100% for banning US spelling.
Next thing you know, the reactor is called: "Nucular Generator"... -_-
Rational People: If it ain't fucked, don't fuck it.
Engineers: If it ain't fucked, unfuck it till it's perfect.
Me as an Engineer: If it ain't fucked, i'll fuck it till it is.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Volvith wrote:Colour, armour, etc.
I'm 100% for banning US spelling.
Next thing you know, the reactor is called: "Nucular Generator"... -_-
"Nuclular genouratour" ;)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Roxor128 wrote:It's baffling that the US spelling would be supported by developers who aren't even from the US in the first place.

When I was learning HTML back in the mid-1990s, I got tripped up by the use of US spellings of "colour" all the bloody time!

Contrast this to POVRay scene description language which was designed properly and supports both US and international spellings of "colour".
"color" is the international version. Only the UK wants to add unnecessary "u" everywhere.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Kind of strange that brits would want to hold onto something from Old France.....
btw - where's the 'ee' sound in Aluminum ? Al-u-min-ium ?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/colour

English Noun
colour (countable and uncountable, plural colours)
(British spelling) Alternative form of color
Translations[edit]
colour — see color

Adjective
colour (not comparable)
(Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Britain) Alternative form of color
Translations
colour — see color

Verb
colour (third-person singular simple present colours, present participle colouring, simple past and past participle coloured)
(Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Britain) Alternative form of color
Translations
colour — see color

Old French
Noun
colour f (oblique plural colours, nominative singular colour, nominative plural colours)

Fancy graph
graph.png
graph.png (43.58 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Volvith wrote:I'm 100% for banning US spelling.
Well, then I'm in favor (not "favour"!) of banning the UK spelling. Please rename the "neighbour" bonus of the nuclear reactor to "neighbor"! ;-)

EDIT: My above post was not serious. Well, not completely. :)
Last edited by Tekky on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

pingger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pingger »

Can we please stop this Bitch fight?
I think both spellings should be available.
So an EN-GB and an EN-US language is available. And preferably an EN language for all the others, that use mixed variants (like the Devs and most Europeans).
Looking at the commands, i think the alias should be available, so that /color and /colour can be used.

Greetings

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

Yes, I agree that it would be best to add /colour as an alias for /color , since the scripting system seems to already support aliases. Therefore, it should not be too much work.

My previous post about banning the UK spelling was not serious, even if I personally prefer the US spelling. Some games, such as OpenTTD, allow the user to select whether they want British English or American English spelling in the game. But I don't think that this would be that important in Factorio.

If Factorio started to allow people to select between EN-US and EN-GB versions of the game, then I'm sure that British players would also start demanding the possibility to put signals on the other side of the track. :-)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Tekky wrote:My previous post about banning the UK spelling was not serious, even if I personally prefer the US spelling. Some games, such as OpenTTD, allow the user to select whether they want British English or American English spelling in the game.
If Factorio started to allow people to select between EN-US and EN-GB versions of the game, then I'm sure that British players would also start demanding the possibility to put signals on the other side of the track. :-)
It's not EN-US or EN-GB, it's programming English, this language is used by programming and has't variants.
If EN-GB will be added, why not German and another popular languages?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

As a programmer, the idea that programmers use a standard variant of english is a pretty hilarious joke :)

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

There is not one graphics library that has a 'colour' type.
There's not one graphics program that has a colour palette.

Even the site http://www.colourlovers.com/palettes has one palette (of hundreds) that's colour - http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/452 ... lourlovers; all the others are color. searching by name reveals none though.

The source for http://www.colourco.de/ ... https://github.com/tamino-martinius/colourco.de only has it for titles, and search tags in HTML; but not in the actual code.

-------
and while I'm on the topic of good enlish; and to kick the horse a bit

Math is short for Mathematics, not mathematic, so there's no reason to add an S and say maths; it's only in the last 5 years maybe a decade that I've ever even heard that... and then much in the last year.

If aluminum is prounounced al-u-min-ium, do you also say nium-ber? niumeric? niumbskull?
(it's alu-min-um)

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

In the very large codebase of my employer there's about 5% as many usages of "colour" as "color". There's nearly 5000 repositories on github with "colour" in the name. There's nearly a million commits on github that reference "colour". Someone already noted in the thread that POVRay understands both spellings; many dialects of BASIC and some other programming languages do too.

Color is more common; that doesn't mean that anyone has any kind of standard - there's no RFC or standards body for English. Also, as people have already pointed out: factorio isn't consistent either, and already contains other "ou" spellings such as the "neighbour" bonus for nuclear reactors.

You might not have any use for such an alias and that's fine, but arguing *against* having one seems really silly.

Volvith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Volvith »

d3x0r wrote: If aluminum is prounounced al-u-min-ium, do you also say nium-ber? niumeric? niumbskull?
(it's alu-min-um)
Okay, here's a fun one: Do you say coppernicum?
Magnesum?
Calcum?
Sodum?
Indum?
Everyotherelementontheperiodictable-um?

Really, if you would have pulled up any other example, it would have been a good one, most likely.
But it's aluminium.
It's an internationally standardised name for element 13, just like literally every other element on the periodic table.
-ium is a latin suffix used to make elements discovered after the latin period fit the naming scheme of already present elements.

Now, as for the fact that "not one graphics library that has a 'colour' type", i have to tell you that, from experience, both USEN and GBEN are used. (Sometimes both. In one program. Not fun to troubleshoot... T_T)
As hard as it might be to believe, there is no "standard" for programming when it comes to spelling or terminology in general.
However, i believe that if you use one dialect in your code, you should stick to it, and i think i've seen some inconsistencies here and there in the Factorio base code. (I could be completely wrong on this, i'm too lazy to check. :3)

Volvith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Volvith »

Tekky wrote:Yes, I agree that it would be best to add /colour as an alias for /color , since the scripting system seems to already support aliases. Therefore, it should not be too much work.

My previous post about banning the UK spelling was not serious, even if I personally prefer the US spelling. Some games, such as OpenTTD, allow the user to select whether they want British English or American English spelling in the game. But I don't think that this would be that important in Factorio.

Yeah, the main problem i have with US spelling is that i'm not used to it, and i have made quite a few mistakes with it already.
If you're used to writing colour and armour instead of the US variants of those, you'll make mistakes quite easily, and old habits die hard, i'm afraid... :'3

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by d3x0r »

Volvith wrote:
d3x0r wrote: If aluminum is prounounced al-u-min-ium, do you also say nium-ber? niumeric? niumbskull?
(it's alu-min-um)
Okay, here's a fun one: Do you say coppernicum?
MagnesIum?
CalcIum?
SodIum?
IndIum?

After fixing the spellings, I don't see how you could even compare apples to apples.

Everyotherelementontheperiodictable-um?
anthing-Um Of course.. But if it's spelled with IUm then of course it's ium.

plumbum (old name for lead... notice no I)

It's an internationally standardised name for element 13, just like literally every other element on the periodic table.
-ium is a latin suffix used to make elements discovered after the latin period fit the naming scheme of already present elements.
gypsum?
Platinum ? You say plat-in-ium?
scrotum ?
Now, as for the fact that "not one graphics library that has a 'colour' type", i have to tell you that, from experience, both USEN and GBEN are used. (Sometimes both. In one program. Not fun to troubleshoot... T_T)
As hard as it might be to believe, there is no "standard" for programming when it comes to spelling or terminology in general.
However, i believe that if you use one dialect in your code, you should stick to it, and i think i've seen some inconsistencies here and there in the Factorio base code. (I could be completely wrong on this, i'm too lazy to check. :3)
(localisation :) )

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”