Drag to select multiple storage filters

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Train Quick-filter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Suggest a quick-copy method to rapidly fill a traincar with a filter. In the same way you copy smart-inserter settings, allow copying a filter setting and rapidly place it on other slots in a train. Having to place a car, explicitly in a place where it CANNOT be unloaded, loading it entirely up with iron ore, then middlemousbutton clicking takes a while. Dropdown menu works fine for a single filter, but with you needing 30 of them it takes too long.

Also ability to drag-copy would be helpful, since you might want to do all of them, or some fraction of them.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train Quick-filter

Post by ratchetfreak »

You can hop along a single item that you want to filter:

place item in slot 1
middle click it
move item to slot 2
middle click it
rinse repeat

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

You will have far more success by using the train stops as the filters. If a train stop only processes ore, then those trains will only carry ore. Pretty simple.

matfil
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Paste filter into multiple cells

Post by matfil »

What?
When setting inventory filters you have to set each cell separately or copy filter that you set before. When you want to set same filter for train it starts to be problematic.

Why?
click and drag when pasting filter to paste same filter into multiple cells (rectangle selection or every cell below mouse) would make setting up trains and other containers more convenient.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Paste filter into multiple cells

Post by Rseding91 »

It has been on my to-do for quite a while now (over a year) but it will require non-trivial core changes to how inventory slot interaction works.

I might get around to it some day but it's a very low priority.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

matfil
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by matfil »

What about faking click event when you get mouse over event when dragging (holding button down)? It should make filling cells below mouse easier.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Small hint:
Grab the item into hand and middle click on slots.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Just wanted to point out that now (as of 0.15) you can paste-drag across entities it's unintuitive and inconsistent that you cannot also paste-drag across cells in trains etc. I think that ought to raise the priority of this feature by a notch. Would make setting up trains so much more pleasant.

crelling
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by crelling »

Sorry for the necro, but I thought it would be better then creating a new post regarding the same issue.

Just like Ranakastrasz, I also use a lot of filters in my train wagons, and it really is a pain to set them all manually. Especially if I want the whole wagon to be filtered to a single item.
The copy and drag to paste settings functionality that exist on the assemblers, inserters, etc. would be a really great feature here, and as far as I can tell, the train inventory (I know I can do it on the wagon as a whole afterwords) is one of the few (if only) places it's currently not pressent. This would be a great timesaver, and im sure a lot of people working with trains would love it :)

As bobucles suggested, I can do this with inserters. The problem beeing if I drive the train manually, or the train temporarely stops on a red light, the inserters go to work even though the train isn't supposed to get the items. A good example is if I just miss the station when driving manually, then the fuel loaders go to work, loading my cargo wagons with fuel, instead of my locomotive, and this then creates a mess in my whole system during unloading unless i use filters on the unloading-station.

Ausprit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ausprit »

To add weight to this suggestion as I was close to open another thread on the same subject. While I understand that it is low priority, setting up a few trains makes you really feel the fact that you're ending up clicking repeatedly.
I don't have RSI (hopefully), but I still isn't confortable.

As a hint to other people, you can avoid clicking the wheel (which is much harder to click) by shift right-clicking the filter you want and shift+left-clicking the slots you want to paste it to. Not perfect, but better than making stacks of one everywhere than wheel-clicking the stacks to set the filter.

Helvarg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

QoL: Set filters in wagons with holding item and dragging

Post by Helvarg »

TL;DR
Hold item + middle mouse button and drag to set filters in cargon wagons
What ?
The idea is to speed up the process of assigning filter to cargo wagon slots. As of now, you either have to middle-click each slot and choose the filter from the list or you can pick up an item and middle-click a slot to set the filter for the item in your hand, but you have to click every slot to set the filter. It would be much easier and faster to just pick up the item, hold the middle mouse button and drag over the slots to set the filter. Similar to how you can copy assembler configuraions and circuit conditions.
Here is a picture of the process:
illustration of suggestion
illustration of suggestion
trainfilters.png (700.26 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
Why ?
This would just improve the quality of life, as you can now set filter to cargo wagons much faster.

Greetings,
Helvarg
(also, my first post :) )

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: QoL: Set filters in wagons with holding item and dragging

Post by AileTheAlien »

+1 for click-dragging filters.

Also, CTRL-click should fill the wagon with that filter. CTRL-click fills / empties a container of an item, so I think it'd make sense to work like this for filters.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Keryja/fast-filter-fill

... etc. ...

I would love, if the FFF mod had a way to set filters like described here, but can you add also a way how to set filter, if you don't have that item (cause that is the reason, why you want to transport by train)?

I also would like some to see some similar like this in upcomming changes (see FFF-191).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FactorioBlueprints
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by FactorioBlueprints »

Similarly, you can copy and paste cargo filters, and pasting should work with Shift+Click and drag, since the same thing works when pasting recipes.

Ripshaft
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ripshaft »

I didn't say anything on this since it seems pretty obvious and a logical progression of their recent QoL filter dragging functions, but I appreciate the work you put into this post to clearly illustrate the idea, good stuff =p

Definitely a must-have feature.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Drag to select multiple storage filters

Post by cpy »

I have wagon full of ore and i want to set it to just that, but looks like i have to click slot by slot.

I propose just hold and drag to drag across multiple slots or ctrl+key to make whole inventory to filter to that item.

m44v
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Drag to select multiple storage filters

Post by m44v »

+1

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Click/Drag wouldn't be that useful except for maybe ores. How often do you want to grab multiple things that are together?

Ctrl-Click, yes please!
Image Image

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

CTRL+drag won't work for taking items, CTRL takes all, i suppose shitf+drag would do it.

I'm talkig about item FILTERING not taking items, i want to set whole wagon to one single item filter or paint drag filters maybe drag and paint like selecting multiple icons on desktop. If it's not hard to implement that would be nice. Or at least one item filter for whole wagon some easy way.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about selecting items for filter inserters.

Yes dragging a box on a train car and setting the filter would be a huge boon.
Image Image

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”