Destruction of vehicles should leave a corpse

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Destroying Car Should Drop Items

Post by azoundria »

Fuel and trunk items should be dropped if you crash the car, and maybe some scrap metal too.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Destroying Car Should Drop Items

Post by ssilk »

That would mean a chest being destroyed will do the same. I mean that isn't the best idea (ever catched up 6000 item from ground?). But maybe some compromise is possible...?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by azoundria »

There could maybe be a kind of wreckage that contains the items.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This problem should be solved before: A wreckage needs space on the map. So to have a wreckage in every case you need to make some space. This can be missused: steer the car at some place, where no space is, destroy it and all around must be destroyed too, even, if it isn't destroyable. Other extreme is: no space left, no wreckage.

I think sometimes there is a wreckage, when there is enough space, and sometimes not, if it is too narrow.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ssilk wrote:This problem should be solved before: A wreckage needs space on the map. So to have a wreckage in every case you need to make some space. This can be missused: steer the car at some place, where no space is, destroy it and all around must be destroyed too, even, if it isn't destroyable. Other extreme is: no space left, no wreckage.

I think sometimes there is a wreckage, when there is enough space, and sometimes not, if it is too narrow.
You do realize that the 'wreckage' currently in the game has no collision box, it's just an image. I'm sure it would be relatively easy to create a simple container/chest without a collision box, just the selection box (all you need to mine/open entities) and the image of wreckage. Then when the car is destroyed it simply places the 'car-wreckage' in the same location it was destroyed. No room would be taken (even visually no more than the car would have normally). Theoretically the devs could add this so that you can not mine it, once the items are removed it would self-destruct. Or if a mod added it, it would be simple to make it unminable and check if it's empty every now and then.

edit: actually I would think it would be relatively simple for the devs to add an inventory to the wreckages of entities that had an inventory, it could then either allow all items to be placed within that or, maybe depending on the difficulty setting, pseudo-randomly select the items that get saved.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Wouldn't this look stupid, if you drove it in the middle of the foe and then there is some wreckage left? I keep meaning, that its better to have it sometimes, and sometimes not, depending on the density of other stuff around, for example, if there are already some wreckage parts, then it won't make sense to add endless more. It reminds me to the creepers, which runs into the guns and there where hundreds of them laying over other hundreds, which just looked stupid. :)

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

Stupid, but in an awesome way :D

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Destruction of vehicles should leave a corpse

Post by mrvn »

When a player dies a corpse is left behind that can be scavenged for all the stuff the player was carrying. But when a vehicle is destroyed all the content disappear into thin air. That is a little inconsistent. There should be a "corpse" of the vehicle, like e.g. a burned out car, with the trunk of the car still intact.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Destruction of vehicles should leave a corpse

Post by kovarex »

Hello, I moved this to ideas and suggestions.
This isn't really a bug, the same could be said about chest being destroyed, and we want to keep it like that.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Yeah, chests are another inconsistency. When a belt is destroyed the content remain on the ground. A chest is destroyed and all vanishes.

I'm guessing here but I bet it is because the content of the chest would require a huge area to place all the items and that makes it impractical. But a damaged chest that needs to be removed would be more consistent with the player having a corpse and belts leaving there content behind.

Anyway,
This isn't really a bug, the same could be said about chest being destroyed, and we want to keep it like that.
Does this refer to chests alone or also vehicles?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Don't forget, that this is the only way to destroy items currently.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

kovarex wrote:Don't forget, that this is the only way to destroy items currently.
Which really needs an automated way. Bob's mod have gas venting but I'm getting some excess liquids and even solids too that I simply have to store somewhere or destroy manually. This needs a garbage dump.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

[ick] Merged two topics about a corpse for vehicles.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”