Feature request: Show train number when hovering locomotive

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Feature request: Show train number when hovering locomotive

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

Hi,

tl;dr - When hovering a locomotice, could the unique train number be shown as part of the information on the right?

I've been using the unique train numbers more lately and occasionally have to configure some of my circuits with the proper train numbers (e.g. when deploying a new remote station). This works well, but it's a little annoying to read out the number of a train, as I can currently only read it while the train happens to be stopped at a stop that is configured to read the train number, such that I can hover that circuit network to see the number. Would it instead be possible to simply show the train number as part of the information on the right when hovering a locomotive?

Just a suggestion.

Thanks!

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Feature request: Show train number when hovering locomotive

Post by Tekky »

I agree. However, I believe it would be better to be able to assign the Train-IDs yourself, as has been discussed in the following threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46969 Constant Combinator for Locomotive
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47747 Train names
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51115 Naming trains
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47779 Manual Setup of Train Number / Value

Also, in this thread, I have suggested that not only stations should be able to read Train-IDs, but also signals:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47541 Signals should send Train-ID to circuit network

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

So I just had a "fun" experience: My train-id for a new train was above 1000, and so the signal got pretty-printed as the rounded "1.0k". I ended up having to read out the train-id by running it also through a modulo-combinator (% 1000) to determine that the precise id was 1018.

Now for most signals this rounding is nice, but for train-ids it seems to me a user is never interested in an "order of magnitude", but rather the precise id. Of course changing how signals that happen to represent train-ids are rendered would be crazy, but the problem could be avoided in the first place if the train-id was shown on the right as in my original proposal.

I considered filing a bug for this but thought this could easily be argued to be working-as-intended, or be considered double-posting (which I wanted to avoid for obvious reasons).

@Tekky: I agree more or other ideas could be proposed, but my suggestion is purposefully staying away from changing the actual mechanics of the game, just proposing to adjust to how easy / hard it is to read out the train-id (I'd assume this would be a pure ui-only change).

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

The current implementation of Train-IDs was never intended to be a major feature. It was only designed as a hotfix in 0.15.11 for this bug report.

In other words, it never even was an intended feature for 0.15.

Therefore, the current implementation of this feature is (understandably) not well polished. I hope this will change in 0.16, for example by implementing one of the suggestions stated above.

gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

Thanks for that link. I obviously agree, any improvement would be very much appreciated, but I'd be very happy already with the minimal improvement (i.e. showing the train-id in the right-hand nav).

Also, at least based on this post [1], I do think they considered it a feature (without going into the grey-area discussion of what "major" is):
Twinsen wrote:Not only will this be a way to fix this problem, but it seems like a nice feature to have :)
[1] viewtopic.php?p=270740#p270740

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

I guess this thread can now be moved to implemented (in 0.16.0), since it implements the OP's suggestion.

However, I still think that it would be best if it were possible to assign the Train IDs yourself, as has been suggested in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46969 Constant Combinator for Locomotive

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

{Koub] I'll let this here - for now - as there is still room for discussion. There might be reasons why things have been implemented the way they are. Or not.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”