Remove internal max speed of trains

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Remove internal max speed of trains

Post by d3x0r »

Through experimentation I've found that there seems to be an internal speed cap of 360kph.
The physics (air resistance, power usage) of locomotive already limits it to 360; plus the max_speed cap. But if I increase max_power, max_speed and reduce air_resistance I can get it to blink intermittently to 370kph but it resets on the next frame to 360. And even manually forcing the speed above that during an on_tick event resets to 360 (maybe less, since it must surely accelerate during that previous tick to get to 360 to show).

having done some research I do realize that's the max speed of class 9 tracks
--Class 9 [us 6] 220 mph (354 km/h)

but there are faster trains...
-- 1. Shanghai Maglev: 267 mph 429 kph
-- 2. Harmony CRH380A: 236 mph 379 kph
-- 3. Trenitalia Frecciarossa 1000: 220 mph 354.0548 kph

True; they're using maglev and not rails... So; Add Maglev trains? and/or hyperloop trains? Either type should be incompatible with existing track types and vice versa for existing locomotive on tracks.

"The paper conceived of a hyperloop system that would propel passengers along the 350-mile (560 km) route at an average speed of around 600 mph (970 km/h), with a top speed of 760 mph (1,200 km/h), "

Hyperloop could be elevated so they don't smoosh the player; and cars/tanks can drive 'under' them. Hyperloop would require different graphic handling because the trains would be in covered tubes (usually? train stops to load?)

---
So, I don't know about removing the internal speed limit; I just wanted to make a track type that would give a speed boost to trains, but since normal trains on jet fuel already go the max speed, that doesn't give me any room to make better/more expensive rails; so I'll have to slow down regular trains on regular tracks and not apply any slowdown penalty on the better tracks.

Just for reference... doesn't have a lot of bearing on it; a train would fly before getting to this speed.
speed of sound 1,235 km/h; 767 mph

And just a note about steam engines (mod junktrains)
The old steam engines were usually run well below 40MPH due to problems with maintaining the tracks
but could go much faster. I seem to recall a 45 mile run before 1900 in which a locomotive pulled a
train at better than 65MPH ... (Stanley Steamer cars were known to exceed 75MPH).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Remove internal max speed of trains

Post by bobingabout »

are you modding?

I'm sure I've had trains traveling in the 400s before.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

d3x0r
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Remove internal max speed of trains

Post by d3x0r »

bobingabout wrote:are you modding?

I'm sure I've had trains traveling in the 400s before.
I see; maybe there's a mod(not mine) that's overriding that property. I turned off all mods, modified the base locomotive file, and was able to get up to 475+... My bad.
-- Edit - Oops, it was my mod :(

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”